Question about Kenmore 3.8 cu. ft. HE3 Front Load Washer
Hi there! We have a Kenmore Elite HE 3t front load about 3 yrs old. I turn it on by holding down the start button for 3 seconds then it clicks on but then flashes on the screen ''F 11'' & wont operate. I have had it go as far as fill with maybe 3 liters of water then shut off & flash ''11'' & beep beep at me every 20 seconds like it is stuck or something?? Is it a re set button that can knd of erase this mode or what ever happened to it? It happened once before & after 3 days & some prayers she worked!
Thank ewe for any advise.my email is: firstname.lastname@example.org
No we are not rying to wash one of our ewes:)
model 110.42922 200
ser CSP 2810391
Ty 199 AKP702/WT
"F11" is a Serial Communications error between the Central Control Unit (CCU) and Motor Control Unit (MCU). The CCU is the main computer for the washer and is located directly behind the wash tub. The MCU is the Drive Motor Control board and is located in the rear of the washer adjacent to the Drive Motor on the left-hand side (facing from the rear with the back panel removed). The wiring harness can also cause the error, but it is not as common a problem.
Whirlpool is the manufacturer of both model washers and recommends the following troubleshooting advice. Remove the top panel of the washer by removing the three screws holding it in place in the rear. Once the screws are removed, the panel slides back, then off. Remove the rear panel of the washer for access to the drive motor and MCU. Now check the following:
- Check the wire harness connections between the CCU, the MCU and Drive Motor. Make sure all connections are attached and making good contact. Check for any broken wires or connector pins.
- Check the Drive Motor to see if it free spins and that the belt is still attached and not slipping. If the motor is seized, replace it. If the belt is broken or worn, replace it as well.
- Check the MCU. Connector 1 is the Serial Communications Link between the MCU and CCU. Connector 2 is the connector to the drive motor. Resistance checks across pins 1, 2, & 3 are the motor windings. Connector 3 is the power supply - 120VAC should be read across pins 1 and 2 with the door in the locked position. NOTE: The connectors are read 1, 2, and 3 from the bottom to the top with the MCU installed.
- Check the CCU. Verify connectors 7 and 11 are properly installed. Facing from the front of the washer, connector 7 is the 4th connector from the RIGHT along the front. This is MCU Power. Connector 11 is the Serial Communications link from the CCU to the MCU and is located along the left hand side of the CCU (the connectors are numbered 11 through 14 back to front).
- Check the Drive Motor. Remove the connector and perform resistance checks on the motor connector pins. Readings across pins 1 to 2, 2 to 3 and 1 to 3 should read 6 ohms.
In most cases this is an indication of a failed CCU. This is an easy repair that the average do-it-yourselfer can accomplish on their own. If the washer is still under a warranty, parts and labor would be covered. With no warranty, a replacement parts will vary in price depending on where you get them. There are several good websites available that you can order parts on line and have shipped directly to you.
NOTE: Remove all the connectors from the CCU ONE AT A TIME and reconnect to see if the error code goes away BEFORE you decide to purchase a new one. It is not common, but sometimes a flaky connection can generate error codes.
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question.
Posted on Sep 18, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 02, 2014 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Jul 08, 2010 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Dec 17, 2009 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Mar 28, 2009 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Mar 01, 2009 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Dec 16, 2008 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Jan 01, 2008 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
166 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: