Question about Kenmore 56549 / 56542 / 56544 / 56546 Side by Side Refrigerator
What is happening is that there is a drain at the back and bottom of the inside of the freezer area and that drain is clogged with ice (freezer set too cold?) from inside the freezer or dust (you do actually vacuume out those coils once a year right?) from the back of the frigidaire. To fix this issue...
(Total work time about 30 minutes. 60 minutes counting explaining what you are doing to your friend or significant other :)
1. Unplug the frigidaire so you don't zap yourself.
2. take everything out of the freezer, remove the shelfs and un screw the maintenance access panel at the back of the freezer area.
3. You should see a drain area at the bottom of the coils, using a straw or something semi-flexible, snake out that drain from inside the freezer to see if the clog releases. If there is a lot of ice and you cannot even get to the clog, be patient and gently remove the ice - DO NOT DAMAGE the coils!
4. Remove the back access panel to the frigidaire. Viewed from the back, you are looking for the fat black hose coming from above and behind the right side the fan (this is why you unplugged remember?) into the drain tray under the fan. Gently lift up on the hose so it flexes up and toward you so you can snake the hose from this other end too.
*Hint: If you are REALLY nice to your friend or signifigant other, they will gladly pour another dixi cup of water in the drain from inside the freezer so you can see for yourself that the drain is now clear.
5. Now the drain is clear and all your ice cream is melting in your sink. Be sure to reposition that black hose back to where it was in the drain tray so it does not get chopped up by that fan at a later date. Next... reverse your removal of the back maintenance access panel on back of the frigidaire. Re-install the maintenance access panel on the inside of the freezer area. (Now is a good time to use a clean & warm washcloth to gently clean the inside of your freezer.) Reinstall all the shelfs. Place your ice cream and all other items back into the freezer.
*If you have an ice maker, be sure to dump all that half melted ice now - it will just refreeze into an iceberg later and break your ice machine so no cubes come out.
6. Plug the frigidaire back in. Tomorrow, check the bottom of the freezer for another sheet of ice accumulation, meaning something else is leaking inside of your freezer. (Could be your ice maker)
Posted on Jul 28, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 25, 2017 | Refrigerators
Aug 05, 2010 | Frigidaire FRS26H5AS Side by Side...
Jan 06, 2010 | Refrigerators
Nov 08, 2009 | Frigidaire Gallery Series GLHS269ZDB 36"...
Sep 06, 2009 | Frigidaire Refrigerators
Jul 08, 2009 | Frigidaire Gallery Series GLHS269ZDB 36"...
Mar 11, 2009 | Frigidaire Gallery Series GLHS269ZDB 36"...
Jan 15, 2009 | GE (PSS26MSRSS) Side by Side Refrigerator
Dec 31, 2008 | Frigidaire FRS23F4C Side by Side...
757 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: