This problem can
be due to the software not handling a certain dial tone rather than a
specific hardware fault. Around the world there is a variance in the
signal quality of the dial tone which causes a report of no dial tone
detection. Disable the dial tone detection to prevent the system from
trying to detect a dial tone.
Disabling dial tone detection for modems:
- Click Start
- Select Control Panel
- Click Switch to Classic View to change the control panel view
- Click Phone and Modem Options
- Select the Modem Tab
- Select the installed modem (Example: Lucent Technologies Soft Modem AMR)
- Click the Properties button
- Select the Modem tab in the Properties window
- Click Wait for dial tone before dialing to remove the check from the checkbox
- Select the Advanced tab
- Add X3 to the Extra initialization commands field in the Extra Settings box
- Click OK twice
- Select Switch to Category View to change back the control panel view
- Close Control Panel
if this does not work trying re-installing modem drivers.
hope this helps, have a good day.