Question about Kenmore 24032\24036 Top Load Washer
How do I replace the lid switch on my top loading Kenmore 80 series washing machine? Is there a manual I can look at or download for how to repair and locate parts?
First of all, unplug your washer. You will need to remove the console in order to get to the lid switch. I believe your washer has release tabs under the console at each front corner. Simply slide a putty knife straight in from the front at each corner and push in while lifting up. You should feel the release tabs push in and the console will pop up.
Or, you may have a console that has removable end caps. They can be removed by gently prying up on the top of them from the rear on each side. You may have to use a small screwdriver for this. The caps should pop right off. Once removed, you will need to loosen a screw under each cap.
Once you have the console loosned, carefully lift it up and lay it back over the rear panel of the washer in its resting position. Be careful not to damage the small plastic hinges that hold it in place. Now you will need to perform the following steps:
1. Under the console you will find the lid switch connector. Unplug the switch from the connector.
2. There will be two brass colored clips. You will need to remove these to remove the machine casing. Place a flat blade screwdriver straight down into the opening on top of the washer and into the groove of the clip. Push the screwdriver away from you while holding into the groove and the clip will release.
3. Open the lid of the washer and place your hand under the front rim of the opening (DO NOT grab the wash tub). Now pull the case from the frame by lifting from the back first.
You do not have to remove it all the way from the frame. Just enough to gain access to the switch. All there is to the switch is a couple of screws holding it in and a ground wire. It's a pretty easy repair job.
Once you've completed your switch installation, make sure you get the case back on the frame correctly by following these steps:
1. While looking down through the lid opening, place the front lip of the machine case UNDER the washer frame and start leaning it back onto the frame. There are four small cleats that must fit into four slots on the case or the washer will vibrate. Make sure the frame is seated properly, lean forward from the front of the washer, grasp both sides of the rear panel and pull towards the case. The rear panel should be seated and flush with the casing before inserting the retaining clips.
2. Insert the brass-colored clips into the slot on the washer rear panel first, then push straight down into the opening on the top of the washer with some force. If you have the case seated correctly, the clips will snap back in.
3. Make sure you plug the connector from the console back into the lid switch receptacle and close the console.
I hope you find this helpful. If you have any questions please let me know by posting comments.
Posted on Nov 02, 2007
I have a Kenmore 80 Series, it will not spin anymore - where do I get a manual to download
Posted on Sep 04, 2009
My washer stopped working, i knew there were only a few things it could be, but also knew i did not have the knowledge, or experience to get to deep into this. I found the lid switch was not clicking... reading another post on here, i removed the switch to find the housing was apart??? put 2 zip ties around the housing to hold it together and bam, the switch was fixed!!! Total process took 6 minutes and was free!!! thanks
Posted on Nov 08, 2010
If it won't spin anymore, it's the motor coupling. Mine went out last year when the machine was 9 years old. Apparently Kenmore designs these machines with parts that wear out over time in order to save the more expensive components, like the motor and pump.
Posted on Apr 19, 2010
Once i get to the swich what do i do
Posted on Aug 12, 2010
SOURCE: Kenmore 80 series lid switch
The following link explains how to replace one:
If the switch DOES require replacement, a new one can be purchased on line at searspartsdirect.com, repairclinic.com or appliancepartspros.com. Just use your model number as your search criteria. All three sites offer competitive pricing, so shop all three for the best price. If you still need assistance, please contact me and let me know. If my diagnosis is not correct, please post back and elaborate a bit more so I can assist you further. If your washer is not configured this way, or if you still have questions, please let me know.
Posted on May 11, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 04, 2011 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Dec 19, 2010 | Kenmore 24032\24036 Top Load Washer
Oct 26, 2010 | Kenmore 3.2 cu. ft. Plus Top Load Washer
May 15, 2010 | Kenmore Elite 20972
Apr 07, 2010 | Kenmore 24032\24036 Top Load Washer
Jun 11, 2009 | Kenmore 24902 Top Load Washer
May 11, 2009 | Kenmore Washing Machines
Feb 27, 2009 | Kenmore 24032\24036 Top Load Washer
24,131 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: