Question about PC Desktops
Hi! My computer's been acting up for a while, so i got fed up and decided to wipe the drive and take it back to factory mode maybe the virus or whatever software issues it has will kinda reset. I didn't satisfactorily wipe the drive because even though i've lost almost all my data files (music etc) it still has "ghost programs." There are icons that won't link correctly. Even worse, it's norton antivirus is faulty now, and everytime i boot, a screen with a foreign launguage pops up and i have to click ok for it to go away. I cant get my hands on any free antivirus currently because my dial up takes forever so i want to reformat it again. Can someone tell me how to do it right this time? i have an xp o.s. but cant get the model number of the p.c.
1. Start your computer to Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
NOTE: You must log on as an administrator or a user that has administrator rights.
2. At the command prompt, type cd\, and then press ENTER.
3. Type cd\windows\system32, and then press ENTER.
4. Type osuninst.exe, and then press ENTER.
5. Follow the instructions on the screen to begin uninstalling Windows XP from your computer to restore the previous operating system
6.In DOS mode type FORMAT C:\ it will ask if you want to type Y for yes and then RE install windows after the wipe
Posted on Nov 01, 2007
To perform a clean install of your XP. follow this steps.
1. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM. To do this, insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
3. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.
4. When you see the End-User License Agreement, press F8.
5. Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP. This would be your c:\ drive
note: when formating the drive do not choose the quick format option.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.
Posted on Nov 01, 2007
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 07, 2011 | HP A6620F PAVILION A6620F DESKTOP PC
Dec 27, 2010 | Acer AX1200-U1520A PC Desktop
Nov 23, 2010 | HP Pavilion m7750n PC Desktop
Feb 18, 2010 | Dell Dimension 5150 (DIM515MIN) PC Desktop
Jan 01, 2010 | HP Pavilion a1610n PC Desktop
Oct 08, 2009 | HP Pavilion a375c (A375CBEC6719) PC...
Dec 07, 2008 | PC Desktops
Jun 09, 2008 | Acer Aspire™ T180 PC Desktop
May 05, 2008 | Dell Dimension 3000 PC Desktop
442 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!