Question about Toshiba Satellite M30X Notebook
I have been having this problem with my father's old toshiba laptop.
After I turn it on it remains loading in the BIOS screen for 30 seconds and then gives me a prompt with the message Error 0201 Failure IDE #0 with two options Setup and Boot
If boot is presed it attempts to boot but i does not recognize the hard drive.
I have tried a couple of aproaches to solving the problem including
1) Using the Toshiba Recovery Disk
- It boots until the windows installation
- The program does not recognize the hard drive
2) Using an Ubuntu Live CD
- It boots and recognizes the hard drive as external media
- Partitioning, Formating, Installing Linux, and any disk management utilities work from the live cd. But even if linux is installed on the hard drive the booting procedures do not recongnize it.
- It should be noted that files can be added and removed from the hard drive using the live cd with no complications.
3) Cheking the Hardware
- Tried to clean the pins as sugested in a related post
- Bought a new hard drive of the same model as the old one on ebay.
* The problem persists, tried redoing the previous steps in the the new drive just to make sure just to make sure.
3) Flashed the BIOS
- Got the latest version from toshiba and installed is from a bootable cd-rom
- The older BIOS version was 1.30 the new one is 1.50
I have been fixing computers for at least three years now, but I have to admit that I have never encountered such a persistent problem that apears to be so beyond my capabilities. While as a seventeen year old the thigs that I have yet to understand are numerous. the fact that this problem has been unsolved from so long is is quite a blow to my ego.
Any help that you guys could provide me with in order to shed some light to the way of solving this problem will be greatly apreciated.
Here is the Toshiba official line on that error.
If you've already run through their fixes, you could try using the Ultimate Boot CD to test the hard drive, or run Chkdsk c: /r from the recovery console to attempt to recover any bad sectors
Then consult this link and apply the pertinent fixes to attempt to repair the MBR.
Other possibly helpful links here and here.
I hope this information allows you to resolve this issue. If you need further assistance, please post back with a comment to this thread.
If I've managed to answer your question or solve a problem, please take just a moment to rate this post....thanks!
Posted on Jun 17, 2009
What can i do my intel bord did not have a signal
Posted on Nov 07, 2009
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 23, 2014 | Toshiba Computers & Internet
Nov 02, 2010 | Toshiba Satellite Pro A200-EZ2204X...
Nov 25, 2009 | Toshiba Satellite A10-S100 Notebook
Jun 28, 2009 | Toshiba P000392200 - Satellite A40, A45...
Feb 08, 2009 | Toshiba Satellite M30X Notebook
Apr 09, 2008 | Toshiba Satellite A45-S150 Notebook
Nov 02, 2007 | Toshiba Tecra M2 Notebook
Feb 10, 2007 | Toshiba Satellite A40-S161 Notebook
Mar 27, 2012 | Toshiba Satellite M30X Notebook
2,467 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!