It is sometimes necessary to protect files on your PC from potentially prying eyes. There are many programs out there that can do this to a more or lesser extent but I still prefer to use a good old fashioned protected zip file.
For this tutorial I will be using Winrar. You can do the same with 7zip and Win-zip , but the principle is the same. If you have trouble , add a comment to the tip and I will include it.
To download Winrar , CLICK HERE
to go to the download site.
Now that you have Winrar installed , go to the folder where your files that you want to protect are stored. Select all the individual files you want to add to the archive by holding Ctrl and clicking on each file. Then , right click on any of the files and from the context menu , select "add to archive".
This will open the winrar archive menu.
- Select the name you want for the archive.
- Select the format to archive it to. Zip format is better supported but I prefer to use Rar format.
- Next , if you want , select the compression (how much space the archive will take) and also if you are planning on writing a big archive (700Mb +) to CD's , select splitting option so that the archive will be split into multiple CD sized archives which can be combined later to recover the files in the archive.
- When done , click the advanced tab.
Now Click on the Set Password button.
- Enter the password you require for your archive.
- Finally select "Encrypt file names" if you do not want other people to be able to see the contents of the archive before entering the password.
Press Ok and Ok again to start archiving your files.
When this process completes , your password protected encrypted archive will have been created in the original folder. You can now delete the original files.
Please remember to rate this tip if you found it useful.