Question about Maxtor OneTouch 4 500GB External USB 2.0 Hard Drive
I have a Maxtor One Touch 640GB HDD for a while it would load with Windows XP, then I did a Windows update and now it displays not found or needs formatting. I unplug the power to the HDD then reconnect it, only after doing so it then finds the drive. This is becoming increasingly frustrating, having to unplug the power and replug every time I start windows.
Can you please advise on what I need to set to have it run automatically again, be it in the Bios or whatever..
Try some of these simple steps that tend to remedy quite a few issues with most USB portable / external hard drives and devices (though not always)
A few things to check but assumes USB and Windows for other interfaces / operating systems (mac/ Linux) similar steps may be adapted to suit.
1. Ensure it is connected directly to the computer to a USB 2.0 port not a USB 1.0 port as this can have effects on performance and reliability
2. Use only the cables that came with it NOT one that fits that may have been lying around or is longer. Not all USB cables are equal even though they should be)
3. Do not connect through an external USB HUB unless that hub is USB 2.0 AND has its own power supply.
4. Use ONLY the power supply that came with it if it has an external power supply Don’t use any other unless you know it has both the same voltage and current rating e.g. 12V 500mA anything rated below that would not work properly.
5. Always use the same port for connecting your devices. Some devices do not like being switched about. If switched they may want to install software / drivers again. This can be especially true if you move a HUB to another port
If you checked and fixed anything there and still have issues then check your hardware from CONTROL PANEL / SYSTEM / HARDWARE.
Any exclamation marks by hardware need fixing before you investigate any further
USB flash drives can fail for no apparent reason.
Sandisk Cruzers are especially bad for this.
USB hard drives should be treated with extreme care.
This is a real hard drive ! and knocks and bumps can quite literally kill them.
It is possible to remove drives from the enclosures in most cases and connect directly inside a PC to fully check it.
Note that if you hear a drive clicking or pinging this could be the worst thing you would hear.
Known as "The Click Of Death"
Posted on Sep 10, 2009
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 29, 2010 | Acer Aspire X3200 PC Desktop
May 04, 2010 | Maxtor 160GB OneTouch III Mini USB 2.0...
Oct 05, 2009 | Maxtor Hard Drive
Aug 14, 2009 | Maxtor OneTouch 4 500GB External USB 2.0...
Aug 20, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Nov 01, 2007 | Maxtor OneTouch USB (A01B120) 120 GB Hard...
Sep 22, 2007 | Intel Celeron D 2.8GHz 478-pin 533MHz CPU...
Dec 15, 2017 | Maxtor OneTouch 4 500GB External USB 2.0...
Jan 21, 2018 | Maxtor OneTouch 4 500GB External USB 2.0...
148 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: