I have had this microwave for 4 years w/no problems until this weekend.
It runs just fine but will not cook anything. I'm wondering if it is worth the service call/parts to have it fixed or if it would be more cost effective to just buy a new one.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: Will not heat food
Sounds like the magnetron has failed. This is the component that produces the microwaves that heats the food. The cost of the magnetron is about 95% of the cost of a microwave oven. Most people don't, for this reason, replace the magnetron, they replace the whole oven which is probably what you will end up doing. There is a possibility that the circuit that provides power to the magnetron is faulty and you need to take it apart, find the proper electrical leads and test them with a volt meter. To do this you have to remove it from its mounting and take it apart. It is a fairly lengthy process however.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Start out with just a few seconds if you are heating something and increase it if it isn't heated through, Sounds like the wattage is high on your unit or you are using too much time. Don't over do it. Just use a few seconds or a few minutes. Don't use the pre-sets if they are burning your food. Just punch in the seconds or minutes yourself until you learn how much time you need for the food you are cooking or heating.
Check whether there is a proper power supply. Look to see whether the cord is connected to a grounded 3-prong outlet and the cord is fully plugged in. If the electrical system is built-in and no power cord is visible, replace or reset the household fuse or circuit breaker.
Some basic microwave operational steps may affect whether the microwave is heating. Open and close the microwave door, as the unit will not function with the door open, and push "Stop/Clear" to cancel any previous settings, such as the timer, which do not heat the microwave oven.
Setting the Microwave
Once the power to the microwave has been reset, or verified as working, and the microwave is ready to run, select a new cook cycle and press "Start" to see if the microwave begins to run and cook food as expected. Allow the food to cook for the alloted time and then open the microwave door and check to see if the food has cooked or heated. Choose a longer cooking time and restart the microwave if food is heating but is cooking slowly.
If all efforts to troubleshoot the function and power to the microwave still do not get the appliance heating food as expected, there may be a repair issue that needs to be addressed. Contact professional technician for advice.
/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";}
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your
If the food in the cooking compartment is not heating at all, then you may have one of several components related to microwave energy generation that have failed or became disconnected internally.
Magnetron Tube, HV Capacitor, Filament Transformer or any number of sensors that disable power to the system. The control board could also cause the system to noty function correctly.. You wanted general inputs.. there ya go.. LOL
Not sure I told you anything you didn't already know but you should ask the tech what he did after he gets it going...
power spikes are very damaging to a microwaves internal parts, it sounds like your transformer and/or magnetron are blown. if the unit is out of warranty I would recommend calling a repairman or getting a new microwave (the transformer & magnetron are expensive and dangerous to work on) also get a small single plug surge protector for the new one.