Stainless steel oven finish peeling off
It is likely that the factory-installed clear plastic protective covering was not removed before the oven was placed into service.
Stainless Steel does not peel!
Ovens and other appliances with Stainless Steel finishes are made from solid sheets of the material. They are almost always sent from the factory with a protective plastic film on the finish.
Just find an edge of the appliance, and start peeling the protective film off. Pull it off slowly, as to not leave any possible residual glue or plastic on the appliance.
If the heat from the oven caused some of the plastic film to melt and it does not peel off, I would immediately call the store or dealer from which you purchased the oven and start hollering, as they did NOT properly prepare the item for sale (if it was delivered and installed).
If you purchased it in the crate/box, and installed it yourself, you must take responsibility for not having fully read the instructions before using the oven.
In that case, I would peel as much of the plastic off as is possible, and then use some LOW ODOR CLEANING SOLVENT ( or PAINT THINNER) to remove the rest, using ONLY a soft cotton towel to soak it and rub it with. Do NOT use anything abrasive or scratchy, or you will totally ruin the finish! Do NOT use the scrubber side of a sponge, or a Brillo pad, or Choreboy-type pad!
*** CAUTION!!! *** DANGER! *** The fumes and vapors from the solvent ARE EXPLOSIVE AND FLAMMABLE! DO NOT USE THE STOVE UNTIL THE VAPORS AND FUMES HAVE TOTALLY DISSIPATED!!! Open the doors or windows to the room for fresh air when you are using the solvent, and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS thoroughly!
All is not lost yet, but getting melted plastic off the stove will take some time and a very gentle touch. Be patient, and good luck.
Jul 20, 2014 |