Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My samsung microwave oven run empty for a few seconds we heard something is popping inside and we smell something is burning inside can we still use it after we cool the microwave

Samsung microwave oven model 1999

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Master:

    An expert who has achieved Level 3.

  • Master
  • 397 Answers

I would never advise someone to use a microwave or any other electrical product should it smell of burning.

Posted on Mar 27, 2014

Ad

6 Suggested Answers

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad
MicrowaveSvc
  • 9047 Answers

SOURCE: buzz, plastic smell and no heat

Chances are you have a magnetron that's failing. GE had a rash of "underperforming" magnetrons on these units. They replace the magnetron, stirrer and high-voltage diode at no charge for parts as long as a GE-authorized service center does the work. Sometimes the unit gets run too long in a failing state and the waveguide and chassis of the oven get damaged. The bulletin shows you where tyo check. To see if yours is covered, see this bulletin: http://www.microwavedisplay.com/ge_mw_mag_kit_bulletin.pdf Otherwise, you need to contact GE Customer Relations at 1-800-386-1215 as soon as possible and tell them your problem and they will put you in touch with a local authorized servicer.

Posted on Apr 11, 2007

breddi2
  • 126 Answers

SOURCE: Microwave pops and sparks when running. Nothing

in the top of unit is a round cover and damage is coming from here. This is serious and needs to be checked out. the cover contains a stirrer that moves waves around<<circulates them>> in this cavity probably paint is thin and allowing waves to penetrate metal of cabinet. Call manufacturer and see if there is anything they will do for you before taking it upon yourself to either get repairman or get rid of unit.stirrer is probably damaged and cabinet burned from waves.

Posted on Apr 26, 2009

localwonder
  • 6784 Answers

SOURCE: MICROWAVE IS NOT HEATING

HI, the actual device that produces the heat is damaged or faulty. this device is called the Magnetron. you will need to replace this part in order to restore the heating ability of this microwave oven.

Please rate and have a great day:)

Posted on May 29, 2009

localwonder
  • 6784 Answers

SOURCE: Microwave seems to be operating but does not heat food. Popping sound was heard just prior to this problem. Popping sound no longer heard but still does not heat food.

Replacing the Magnetron will fix this heating issue you are having with this microwave. The Magnetron is the device that is responsible for the heating action.

Posted on Jun 03, 2009

  • 4088 Answers

SOURCE: The microwave starts, then stops after a few seconds, and smells

Remove the cover after pulling the power plug. Check the transformer and large capacitor for signs of overheating. If they look ok, then remove the sheet metal wave-guide from the area where the energy enters the cooking cavity. Under the wave guide is a fan-like device called a stirrer that has a plastic bearing. This stirrer bearing is commonly arced over (when the oven is operated with nothing to heat in it). Usually the bearing looks good, but has arced internally. Replace the stirrer as a unit. The machine can be operated with the case off and a cup of water for a load, but keep you hands clear. Look for smoke.

Posted on Sep 07, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Run microwave empty


I would never recommend using a microwave that emits a burning smell.

Mar 27, 2014 | Samsung Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I put a mug of water in the microwave, left the room. Came back, and the room was filled with a burning electrical/plastic smell, no visible smoke. Now, the microwave completely powers off after 1 second...


Since there was no smoke, it's not a transformer. It's most likely a high voltage diode or magnetron. The magnetron would be over heating and opening a thermal cut out mounted to or near it.

Oct 19, 2013 | Samsung SMH9187ST Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Heard a pop and then an electrical smell. Unit is working but a faint electrical smell occurs each time unit used. Should I continue using it? It is built in with a trim kit.


No that is a very dangerous situation. What is sounds like is you had a short that blew apart but not completely damaging the wires. You should unplug, and open it if its out of warranty and inspect the wires. If the wires are partially burned it can heat up and cause an electrical fire.

May 19, 2010 | Panasonic NN-S541 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Our Sharp microwave oven turns on, makes a loud humming noise, starts to smell like something is burning, but doesn't heat. Well, actually, we don't think it heats, we're too scared to let it run because...


Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} This can be caused by grease etc. inside the oven and on the wave guide which is the paper like thing in the oven. If you can remove it look for burnt areas which may can be scraped off or you may need to replace it. An appliance parts store usually has the material you can cut to fit you own.

Dec 10, 2009 | Sharp R-530ES Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Oven humms and doesn't heat anymore....


if you say 'seems like common problem with this model' then just replace it and get another good model.
it gives peace in long run.

May 30, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Is the microwave possibly dangerous after it popped & now smells


Hello jeffnlaur,
The sound you heard could be any number of things but I would attempt to verify the basic preformance of the microwave was ok by placing a cup of water in the cooking compartment and switching the micro on for about 2 minutes.. The water should be close to or at a boil after this time ( depending on glass type and power output of oven). Listen for any other irregular sounds while it is running. You may have heard something in the soup pop or some of the electronics within the micro arc but it may not mean it is dangerous. Try the water test first and if it continues to exibit internal noises and burning a burning smell, I would discrad the oven. Table top models are very inexpensive and the cost to diagnose and repair would probably exceed the cost to replace,
In terms of dangerous, there are safety devices to cut off power to the magnetron and other components if warranted. Not sure that helps you but with limited info from your side, diagnostics are 'iffy' at best..
Regards
Rick

Jan 09, 2009 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Service to Whirlppol MH7130xez-1, circuit breaker popped then unit went dead


water may have leaked inside unit causing a short.the transformer output is about 1400 volts that feeds a large capacitor. a direct short can blow the transformer instantly or any support parts without time to burn something. creating little or no smell. I never sujest that a person
to try to repair a microwave oven because
the capacitor can still be charged and very lethal.

Feb 25, 2008 | Whirlpool MH7135XE Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Emerson Model MW8627W does not heat after changing fuse!


check the magnitron and capacitors one of this is bad

Sep 18, 2007 | Emerson MW8627W Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

117 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

76649 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...