- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
if the copper leads have broken off inside your brushes , replace the brushes with new , some tool mfg connect there wires in such a way that leads disconnect from brush when it wears down enough , this they believe keeps you from scoring armature to point of failure
My Hoover F7458-900 was doing the same thing, brushes not turning and since it is about 7 years old and out of warrenty I decided I had nothing to lose so I took it apart after reading all the other posts on this problem. The brushes are actually turned by a turbine motor (no belts involved) that runs off air produced by the vaccum motor of the unit. The air turns a metal spindle that then turns several nylon gears in the turbin the last of which turns the brushes. The nylon gear that engages with the metal spindle was worn down to the point that it was no longer engaging with it and thus not turning. The only fix for this problem is to buy a new turbin motor which is not that expensive about $34 plus shipping since they don't sell just the nylon gear. Hope this helps
Likely the wires are broken under the left hand cover not a difficult fix. Unplug the machine and remove the 4 torx screws and an access panel at the side of the ball. replace wires with new or re-connect with a splice. ensure wires are long enough to allow movement and you don't trap the wires when you replace the covers. about a 20 min job with the right tools
Apparent common failure is that either the thin yellow and or blue motor drive wires that run from the LH side of the vacuum where the "control board" is located down into the hinge / ball area become stretched and then fray and eventually break. Happened to my Dyson twice. First repaired under warranty, second took about 20 minutes. You need a Torx screwdriver to remove the LH panel ( 4 screws) and also an access panel (2 screws) at the side of the ball which permits access to the blue / yellow wire connectors. I replaced with a new wire and connectors having fed the wires through the access hole making sure sure enough wire was available for the movement of the handle. Also ensure that when the covers are replaced they do not trap any wires underneath.
the first thing I would do is pull it apart and give the bricks a good cleaning with a wire brush to get any soot off. If they are broken beyond the point of replaceing them in the unit you will need new bricks.
Your suggestion worked! I took a small common screwdriver, carefully pried on the bottom plate on each side, a little at a time, and the whole motor assembly with O-ring, came out in one piece. There it was, a small phillips screw, in this sort of universal joint assembly at the top. I tightened it up, careful, its pretty small, won't stand too much torque, but it's tight now, and I think you saved me $100 or so, mine was getting so sloppy I expected it to fall apart any day, now it feels as tight as new.
Thanks so much!
The brushes are all connected to a single shaft. This square shaft is connected to 2 sets of gears and then another shaft which is turned by an impeller (suction from the vaccum pump is used to turn the impell and thus the brushes). There are 2 bearings that the impeller shaft turns on. It's likely these are rusted up and just need a bit of WD 40. Took me 30 min to take apart, lube, and put back together. Remember, its plastic. If things won't come apart, look for another screw. Mine was a brand new unit and the top bearing was rusted.