Question about General Electric Microwave Oven

Open Question

No power to microwave after fire

I accidentally put metallic threads in my OTR GE microwave (PVM1870SM1SS); the towel caught fire and shut down all the power to the microwave. I have no power at all, no light or clock...no nothing Is there a internal fuse inside the unit? Have I killed my microwave?

Posted by on

Ad

2 Suggested Answers

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad
  • 2468 Answers

SOURCE: I accidentally put metallic threads in my ge

there is an internal fuse,if your lucky thats all it is,but if there was an actual fire then it may be time for a new unit depending upon the extent of damage

Posted on Jul 28, 2010

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

2 slices of bread wrapped in paper towel microwave set on defrost set 35 seconds caught fire


Microwaves work by friction. They blast water molecules in the food so they move fast, just like rubbing your hands together makes them hot. Some types of microwave in defrost mode actually apply FULL POWER for a short period of time so to make the product warm to the touch. This heat then penetrates down to the core of the food, ensuring full defrost. In your case the heat was sufficient enough to heat the dry paper towel to set it on fire.
Bread is better defrosted on the low power setting as sliced bread is very thin. Items should only be defrosted on the defrost setting that are thick and need to be completely defrosted on the inside. Remember microwaves only penetrate the surface of food, making that hot. Thermal conduction does the rest.
You should never use paper towels in a microwave unless the instructions for doing the food say so. You wouldn't put a paper towel in a gas or electric oven, so don't put them in a microwave.

Feb 18, 2016 | In Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave oven not heating


This a good indicator the magnetron is gone, sometimes leaves odour that is destinctive.

Jun 19, 2012 | GE Profile PVM1790DRCC Microwave

1 Answer

I have GE Profile microwave model PVM1870SM1SS and last week while running, suddently it shut off. There is no power, display buttons and stopped running. Please advise.


From the description a major part has failed, the magnetron is suspect because it suddenly shut down in cycle, if the unit is less than 7 years old it probably has a inverter board and tends to fail, also there is the possibility the keypad control board has stopped working. The microwave in my opinion is worth getting checked out and repaired, but it will be expensive.

Apr 03, 2012 | GE Profile Spacemaker 1.8 Cu. Ft....

1 Answer

A paper towel caught fire in my GE Microwave, now it has no power.


Since the inside of the microwave caught fire, the main fuse has blown, there is probably damage to the magnetron "heats food" the interior has been burned, which will bring safety isses into play. I recommend a professional assess the situation on the grounds of cost and safety.

Mar 09, 2012 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I accidentally put metallic threads in my ge microwave (PVM1870SM1SS); caught fire and shut down all the power to the microwave. I have no power at all no light or clock...no nothing Is there a internal...


there is an internal fuse,if your lucky thats all it is,but if there was an actual fire then it may be time for a new unit depending upon the extent of damage

Jul 16, 2010 | General Electric Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Sweet potatoe caught fire in my microwve


the magnatron super heated the paper combined with what we in the industry call super combust your micro should be ok to use just keep it clean and if you use toweling wraP it around rather than cover

Apr 21, 2010 | Amana ACO1860 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Paper caught fire in microwave. microwave power


check breaker in your home electrical panel...make sure all are on

Nov 08, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Panasonic otr microwave model nn-s245bf, ventilating all the time, cannot use as microwave. thanks


I have the same problem. The control board (central processor) has caught fire. It's noticeable when you take the control panel off.

We need a new control board. I'm currently looking for how to get one. It appears to be a common problem.

Jun 16, 2009 | Panasonic NN-P794SF Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
General Electric Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

123 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1167 Answers

 Larry
Larry

Level 2 Expert

115 Answers

Shekar Avadhani

Level 2 Expert

61 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...