You probably need a new AC adapter. The best option is to find someone else with the same laptop adapter and try theirs. If it works then you know you need a new adapter. You can try and go to a store and purchase a generic one for you laptop if you do not have someone to swap with and take it back if it does not work. If it is still under warranty then Dell will send you a new one.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Does that message pop up when you plug it into every available USB port? Are your batteries charged? Is the mouse recognized on another computer?
This could mean that your USB port is dead or dying (unlikely) or that your mouse adapter is fried.
Try it on another computer, if you get the same message, it's off to the store for you!
The computer doesn't need any drivers to recognize an AC Adapter. If you have purchased the correct AC Adapter for your laptop then it should just work when you plug it in. If it does not then my guess is either you have received a faulty AC Adapter or the DC Jack which you plug into in the back of the laptop is bad. I am assuming your battery is dead and when you plug it in and turn it on nothing happens? You can also try taking the battery out and try to power it on with the AC Adapter plugged in.
The Dell Latitude D610 takes a PA-10 or PA12 AC Adapter. It's 65W or 90W
For 90 watt Adapter the output voltage on your AC Adapter label should read 19.5V and 4.62A At least that's what the Dell brand reads so it should be close to that.
it could be a couple things:
Are you using the standard 90 Watt ac adapter, or the Travel auto/Air adapter. The travel adapter is only 65 watts can will charge the battery
If using the standard ac adapter, see if you can try another Dell D series adapter and see if you get the same error.
If same with another adapter, the issue is the charging circuit. If another adapter works, then replace the adapter.
If the charging circuit is bad, it will be the chargerboard or if intergrated, the motherboard
Dell portables use a sensing wire in the barrel of the adapter plug to determine the wattage of the ac adapter. If that fine wire in the center of the plug is bent or broken, the system cannot ID the adapter and the battery charger is disabled.
SO, first try a known good AC adapter for a D-Series Dell (You might be able to check with Geek Squad at a local Best Buy if you don'e have access to another ac adapter) If a known good ac adapter works, then replace the ac adapter.
If a known good AC adapter does the same thing then the fault is in the charging circuit of the motherboard and the motherboard will need to be replaced.
-check the system battery information and charger information of the computer; restart the computer, while the computer is booting up, press F2 repeatedly; check "battery info" -if it stated ac adapter = unknown device ; update the BIOS (-visit support.dell.com
NOTE:other computers may have different BIOS, if it is not the same you may have to consult manufacturer -click on drivers and downloads -click or choose by service tag -download the BIOS and install it on the computer) -check information after updating; if same message AC adapter = unknown device; call manufaturer for a replacement AC adapter, if status has changed it is a battery problem or motherboard, contact manufacturer to test battery
The Dell 1501 ac adapter (possibly other Dell’s as well) has
been known to be problematic because of its lack of a plug to jack secure
fit.You will notice that the plug can
all too easily be pulled from the jack, as opposed to other systems where the
plug fits more securely onto the jack.The plug and jack combination is poorly designed so that over time, the
plug will come unseated depending on how much movement the machine is subjected
to.This will result in power error
messages or outright power-up failure. So before assuming you have a faulty
adapter, make sure that it is not just a loose plug that is causing the
problem.If you look inside the jack,
you will notice that there is a 3mm region of non-conductive material nearest
the surface of the jack. Use a strip of standard electrical tape 3mm wide and
long enough and wrap it around the base of the plug (you may need more than one
layer of tape to get a good fit).I
have used this method to secure my plug and it has served me well. If the tape
comes undone over time, just simply replace it.A more “elegant” method would be to use an “O” ring of the
appropriate size (about 6mm) around the base of the plug in lieu of the tape.