Follow following step to trouble shoot your WLAN connection.
1 ) If you do not get any Radio signal Check if your radio device is working
: go to Control Panel / Network Connections.
You see all your Networking devices: check the list, if something missed you have to reinstall it.
Check the list if a device is disabled you have to enable it BEFORE using (right click on device to get your options: only administrators can modify properties).
If Radio device is disable check your PC user manual to know HOW TO enable it.
IF your PC has a PHYSICAL SWITCH locate it and operate.
Some examples of Radio switches:
on Acer Aspire first on top left
On Other PC you have to find and activate your switch
If your Radio feature is activated you can right click your network device in Control Panel / Network Connections. and select "View Available Wireless Network"
a list of networks in range will be shown.NOTE: If you get a warning telling "Windows cannot configure...." another program is managing your network device, find it and run it according to documentation.
In network list You will see your network (SSID) together with every other WLAN:
- a) if your router is broadcasting the SSID
- b) if your radio device is on same WLAN standard (A or B or G or N) as your Access Point (router) on same country frequency specs (Europe and North America use different radio channels)
- 3) if no physical obstacle or interference is not blocking the signal: microwave oven, cordless, some remotes are source of strong interference: try changing your position to improve reception if signal is weak.
2 ) If you do not browse Internet
Radio signal strength has no meaning with networking capability.
- Check your networking capability: connect to your router using a LAN cable and BE SURE you can browse from same PC you want connect wireless.
- To connect to your Wlan you must use same security protocol: WEP or WPA (recommanded)
- The Network key must be according to security protocol used: key for WEP or pass-phrase for WPA
- If you missed actual network standard you have to connect to router as admin and create a new one to be used
- If your router used a access list of allowed devices (using Devices MAC address) to protect your network, be sure to add your new PC network adapter MAC address to the list.
If you have problem with your router check if Internet is working connecting your modem to your workstation.
If you can browse you have to configure your router to match your ISP requirement.
That's all from PatEmi