Every Windows Operating System after Windows 98 can share its Internet Connection using this Technique. Microsoft defines this technique as Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
. But setting ICS is very obscure to most of the users. This comes very useful if you live with your roommates and you guys have single internet source like a USB modem Connected to one laptop only. Using Internet Connection Sharing(ICS) that laptop can Broadcast its Internet to other laptops in the room. Technically, the range of a laptop's WLAN adapter is around 20-25 meters. So it can easily handle near by rooms also. This can also be done with a PC having a WLAN card. To setup and broadcast your internet it is mandatory that you are accessing internet using anything other than Your WLAN card like a USB modem, Ethernet etc.
This is because your Wireless adapter(WLAN) will be used for Broadcasting your Internet connection to your friends.Server laptop:- Laptop with Internet Connection.Client Laptop:- Laptops accessing the internet of server laptop.Follow the steps to share your internet connection..here it goes:--
- Open the "Control Panel" of the laptop that is accessing Internet and go to "Network and Internet" then "Network and Sharing Center".
- On the right side of the "Network and Sharing Center" click the "Change Adapter Settings" and you will see all the available network adapters in your laptop.
- Now Right-Click the adapter through which you access internet and click "Properties" option. The properties window will open.
- In "properies" Window click the "sharing" tab check "Allow other network user to connect through this computer's Internet connection"
- In the sharing tab, Select "Home networking connection" type as "Wireless Network Connection" click "OK" and select "Yes" to the Confirmation warning. see above image.
- Now Right-Click the "Wireless Network Connection" in "Change Adapter Settings"and Open Its Properties.
- In "Wireless Network Connection Properties" Double-click the "Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)" and select the "Use following IP address"
- Enter the IP address as "192.168.000.001" and "Subnet mask" as "255.255.255.0"
- Leave all other fields blank in Server laptop, which has access to internet.
- Now setup a wireless "ad hoc" computer to computer connection using "setup a new connection or network" in "network and sharing center" and Name it as anything like "Internet_sharing".
- Now bring other laptops that will use the Shared Internet connection.
- Open "Change adapter Setting" (Described in step 2).
- In "Change adapter settings" Right-click "wireless Network Adapter" and Click its properties.
- In "Wireless Network Connection Properties" Double-click the "Internet Protocol Version 4(TCP/IPv4)" and enter following IP address:-
- IP address-"192.168.000.002", Subnet mask "255.255.255.0", Default gateway-"192.168.0.001" and Preferred DNS server: "192.168.000.001".
- Use the same step from 11 to 15 to connect other laptops and Increase the IP address by +1. Ex- 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4 & so on. Rest of the settings like Default gateway etc will be same on all laptops. Only the server laptop will have blank entries in these settings.
- Now connect all the laptop with the Wireless network(ad-hoc) named "Internet-sharing" that you had previously broadcasted in step 10 in server laptop.
- Now in the server laptop, disconnect and then reconnect the internet connection(This is a necessary step for Internet Connection sharing(ICS) to work).
- Now access internet in all laptops...ENjoy.
Note:- For Advance Users.. this information is necessary only--The IP address of server laptop work as the "Default gateway" and Preferred DNS server of Client laptop and on server laptop these fields are blank. Use same series of IP address as used in the server.
please vote if you found this helpful..