Rust has started to form on the magnet in the water tank. The water tank costs $60 to replace. The plastic compartment that keeps the magnet in place is super glued making it tough to just remove the magnet without damaging the water tank. I was told that part is not covered by the warranty because of wear and tare. Any ideas?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Rust on magnet
You may be able to clean up the magnet with a bit of vinegar and an old tooth brush. Make sure to leave the tank open to the air at all other times. Be sure to rinse the tank with a baking soda and water solution to get the taste of the vinegar out of there.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Brand and model required. Often the sensor is activated by a floating magnet in the water tank. Most problems occur when the magnet stops floating. Normal solution is replace the tank, cheap solution is jam something plastic under the magnet.
Probably the magnet that indicates the water level to the electronics inside is not floating any more. Either replace the tank or wedge something plastic underneath the magnet to trick that the tank is always full. You will then need to check water level visually and not wait to be told.
The blinking light is wrongfully indicating that there is not enough water in the tank. The sensor is a small magnet that is floating in a compartment at the bottom of the water tank. (The black square in the corner) You shold be able to see it. Check if it is stuck at the bottom and if it is floating in its chamber. If that is OK, the sensor inside the coffee maker that is reading the magnet might either have come faulty or dispaced (due to a shock?). That would need a disasembly of the coffee maker.
Your machine has a magnet that floats in the water tank. If the magnet is not floating when you have water in the tank then you need to replace the magnet. You can also try to clean the magnet before replacing. It may be dirty and tends to stick to the water tank.
This is what it looks like. http://www.cerinicoffee.com/item.asp?PID=1318
Hi Check an see if you have the magnet in your water tank. That is your signal to the computer that it is full if it is at the top of its chamber. If you don't have a magnet ( gray cylinder) in the water tank that is your problem. If it is on the bottom the magnet needs to be replaced.
I've had this problem. Looks like its the float in the back corner of the water tank, which contains something magnetic that must trigger a sensor. I put a piece of plastic in the float chamber to push the float closer to the side of the tank. Be careful, if you jam the float (in the up position) then you may run out of water without any warning. Very annoying when you can't get your morning coffee.
The black thing floating in the water tank is a plastic shell with a magnet inside. If you clean it...make sure you reinstall it with the tapered (smaller) side down. There is a slight size difference BUT it will make ALL the difference in the world.
I had no idea there was a magnet in that black/greyish case. The direction of the casing is important. I had the same problem and that solved it!