Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

4 Answers

Spacesaver micro not heating

My spacesaver profile quit heating.  The lights work and it will still turn on but not heat anything. I can't find the manuals to it. Is this something simple.

Posted by on

4 Answers

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • GE Master
  • 8,795 Answers
Re: spacesaver micro not heating

Generally, the most common causes of a failure to heat are:

- bad door switches or door switch mounts
- loose connection at the magnetron
- problem or loose conneciton on the control unit circuit board
- bad magnetron or other high voltage part

If you or a friend decide to look into it, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and
disassembly information at our site, linked here on Fixya:

You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here:

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Nov 26, 2007

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer
Re: spacesaver micro not heating

I have a spacesaver profile and after 4 1/2 years the magnatron went out. magnatron has a 5 year warranty so it was replace,But I had to pay for labor. 1 1/2 later it went out again. haven't replaced it yet. had a friend buy the same one at around the same time and the exact thing happened to them. I'm trying to find out if this a recall or if GE will stand behind there product. lets face it the time a microwave gets used at minutes at a time it really isn't much

Posted on Nov 18, 2007

Re: spacesaver micro not heating

Had the same problem with GE Spacemaker XL1400 and successfully replaced the HV diode (~$20). These HV diode are solder heat sensitive and do get damaged easily.

Posted on Nov 03, 2007

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 100 Answers
Re: spacesaver micro not heating

Your magnetron, HV diode, Capacitor, or control board maybe bad most of these components run with high voltage and difficult to test without the proper equipment

Posted on Oct 31, 2007

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

May Spacemaker XL1800 stop heating food. Was working fine. Then just stop

Is this an over the stove type unit? I have had a few problems with my over the range spacesaver. I think the heat from cooking gets up into the microwave and damages it. The steam from me boiling things on the stove had mine quit heating and I purchased a new one. The parts to replace the faulty ones can be quite expensive over $150.00, so its better to purchase a new microwave.

Feb 24, 2013 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

GE Spacesaver Microwave not heating, inside fan not working

I suggest you have the microwave oven replaced, the prices have dropped considerably for the last several years and you have got your money worth out of the unit.

Mar 02, 2012 | GE JVM1640 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Ge profile micro wave above stove 1850SM2SS will not heat turn table works and lights work

If you know DMM then only you can fix it. Check magnetron continuity and the transformer continuity. Mostly magnetron blows up. Danger microwave has 5000 volts in it Thanks Discharge capacitors

Nov 13, 2011 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Have ge profile spacesaver xl sensor. will not heat strange buzzing sound and burning smell. clock, light, vent still work

This is most likely a defective magnetron, especially with the burning smell. There are two other parts that can be a problem, the high voltage capacitor and diode, all three work together to heat food. If the magnetron is the culprit, probably cheaper to replace the microwave oven.

Mar 02, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE profile spacesaver 2.0-does not heat and slight smell of electric burning when it is turned on. Turntable turns, fans work keypads work- just no heating and the electric odor. Filters and inside are...

MOST LIKELY YOU HAVE WHAT IS CALLED A MAGNETRON THAT HAS FAILED... IT IS THE PART THAT DOES ALL THE HEATING ...YOU DO ALSO HAVE A HIGH VOLTAGE TRANSFORMER THAT SEND POWER TO THE MAGNETRON BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE A MAGNETRON.... to be honest with you unless you are servicer it normally cost more to repair and for a few dollars more you can purchase a new one..... good luck to you.....

Jan 03, 2011 | GE Profile Spacemaker Over-the-Range...

1 Answer

No heating, turntable does not turn, but clock & lights work.

Check to make sure the plastic on the shelve holders or tuntable guide did not wear and expose metal. If these holders or brackets are wore and exposed metal it shorted out your micro wave. They need to be replaced and a fuse needs to be replaced inside the control panel,

Sep 17, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Heat doesn't come on in microwave

If you have the experience with discharging a capacitor and you have a (VOM) Volt Olm Meter. Unplug microwave, discharge capacitor, and check the resistance of the two thermal cut-off discs by removing the lead and set VOM to RX1. If you don't get a reading of zero, replace the discs. For part go to and enter your model number. If you found any of these suggestions helpful, please rate my solution. D. Lange

May 01, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

GE microwave not heating lights and keypad functional

You may have a fuse blown on the micro/ the vent and lights are a diffrent cercut , Try replaceing the fuse. its on the in side of the unit. if you need further assitance and you think you can do this I will be happy to instruct U DFD

Apr 11, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE XL 1800 quit heating

I don't like to pass on your problem but it sounds very much like either the high voltage supply ot the magnetron has bit the dust.
Either one would make the repair marginal at best.

This is apparently not a very good unit, many microwaves jsut kind of fade away as their magnetron emissions decay.

This one seems to have a bad rep. look at this link:

Sorry, have owned a lemon or two myself.

Aug 27, 2008 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

896 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8795 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides