Question about Computers & Internet
Computer will start(fan and power light)then shut off and restart this will repeat over and over
This problem can mean many things, odds are the problem is with the operating system itself. I'm going to give you some instruction of some things I would do if I was working on this computer.
Questions you should consider:
Do you get any error messages? If so contact Microsoft with the error message.
Is you computer under warranty? If so, it's best to let a technician handle the problem. Note: Sometimes they will reformat or replace your hard drive. You could loose all data so it would be a good idea to backup first.
1) Restart Windows in Safe Mode. As you computer is restarting, hold down F8 and once the menu appears, select Safe Mode using the arrow key and selecting by pressing enter. Note: If windows does not boot in safe mode then seek help from a train technician, the problem may be too complex to go into decision in the message.
2) Consider a system restore. You will loose all data and changes you have made to your computer after the restore date. Open system restore by clicking on the start menu and selecting help and support. System restore should be one of the options assuming you have system restore turned on. (It's windows default so you should.) Select a restore date prior to the problem occurrence. Restore your PC. If you do not want to do a system restore then skip this step.
3) Run a virus scan, then spy-ware scan, followed by ad-ware.
4) Your problem should be resolved by now. Restart your computer and see if it works, if not then restart in safe mode again (step 1).
5) If all else fells you can reformat your hard drive by reinstalling windows. You can do this by inserting the windows disk or system restore disk that came with your computer. Follow the instructions given by the manufacturer. WARNING: This will wipe the hard drive of all data, it will be like you just got your computer. You will loose all software and everything.
I hope this help.
Posted on Feb 16, 2014
Testimonial: "Thank you for all your great ideas:) Unfortunately my warranty has expired. I have tried to start it in safe mode and the computer just doesn't want to co-operate. I can't get it that far. I'm thinking either reformat or take it to someone..sigh"
You should open the desktop and clean it all the fans the graphic card etc i am sure it will help you out .
Posted on Feb 16, 2014
Testimonial: "Thank you for your reply. I am a cleanliness nut when it comes to my computers, so its spic-and-span atm. First time I haven't been able to fix a problem myself"
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Sounds like it could be a virus. Or, a heat buildup problem - are all fans inside machine working? Is the fan inside the power supply operating? Was there any work done inside the computer recently?
If the hdw is all ok, go out and buy yourself a copy of Norton Internet Security 2009 - 1 user lic - $49.99 @ Staples. Do *not* buy any earlier vers. of this software! Install, update it, run computer computer scan - probably will find/remove some/many viruses.
If this helps, please take the time to rate my response to you.
Thanks and good luck.
Posted on Mar 22, 2009
Please try the following
1) Remove ALL wires from thw back of the PC
2) Press and hold the power button on for approx 15 seconds
3) Replug only the mains power wire and the monitor cable and then retest
Please advise of outcome
I hope this has been useful
Posted on Mar 05, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 23, 2011 | Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop Computer
May 04, 2010 | Dell Inspiron 531s Desktop Computer
Apr 11, 2010 | Dell Inspiron 531s Desktop Computer
Dec 10, 2009 | Dell Inspiron E1705 Notebook
Sep 23, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook
Mar 22, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 530 Desktop Computer
Feb 23, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 6400 Notebook
Feb 22, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 530s Desktop Computer...
Jul 22, 2008 | Computers & Internet
29 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!