Question about Sharp R-1874 Convection/Microwave Oven
Microwave will not heat unless a small piece of wood is under the door. Now this trick does not work. Any Idea what part is broken
I would say the mount for your bottom or top door switch is loose, misaligned, or broken. And you may have a failed door as well. See my help file on door switches here.
Slamming the door and opening the door while it's cooking instead of hitting the "Stop" pad before opening it both contribute to door switch trouble.
The service manuals covering this model are here and here.
You can order Sharp parts from Encompass here or you can call them toll-free at 866-779-5835.
Posted on Feb 17, 2014
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Over the range microwave
I have the R-1460 in the same series with the identical symptoms. After reading MicrowaveSvc's solution I started taking apart to view the door switches and found the upper door switch to be the problem, but not a switch failure a support failure. A small bottom plastic support post that holds the switch in place was broken (probably from repeated use/abuse) allowing the switch to move when the door hooks were engaged, thus not actuating the button switch. Since the problem was mechanical rather than an electrical bad switch, I made a small support arm for the switch from an old plastic mechanical pencil and glued it in place to hold the switch in its correct position. Problem solved, microwave works! Thanks to MicrowaveSvc's description of door switches.
Posted on May 26, 2007
Okay, first we need to separate the situations. You were boiling water on the stove and had the range hood fan running to **** up the steam. Then you put something in the microwave to heat and you heard a pop and then zip-o.
The water on the stove has nothing to do with the situation, the fan you turn on is not part of the microwave, so it has nothing to do with the microwave.
The pop you heard and then the humming suggests the magnetron failed. You said you found a blow fuse and replaced it and still nothing, right? The magnetron is the most likely culprit...I would think it is safe to say that the magnetron shorted and drew enough current to blow the fuse.
Replace the magnetron and if that doesn't work, let me know here. Good Luck!
Posted on Sep 14, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 06, 2014 | Sharp R-1874 Convection/Microwave Oven
Jul 07, 2011 | KitchenAid KHMS155LSS 1000 Watts Microwave...
Aug 25, 2010 | Tappan TMT104E1 Microwave Oven
Jul 06, 2009 | GE JVM1640 Microwave Oven
Feb 20, 2009 | Sharp R-1874 Convection/Microwave Oven
Dec 26, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Dec 09, 2008 | Sharp R-1874 Convection/Microwave Oven
Oct 24, 2007 | Sharp R-1874 Convection/Microwave Oven
67 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!