Question about Microwave Ovens

Open Question

Je1860sb Our power flashed off and then on again this morning. When the microwave came back on the display lighting was dimmer. I have checked breakers and none are triggered. When I tried to heat something it runs but with very little power and it doesn't seem to heat much at all.

Posted by Anonymous on

6 Suggested Answers

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

MicrowaveSvc
  • 9047 Answers

SOURCE: Cannot heat

Sounds like it overheated, tripped the thermostat, then the thermostat reset. Chances are you have a bad magnetron. GE may have a campaign (not a "recall", mind you!) to offer free replacements if yours is a model that has a known history of problems with the magnetrons. I would call GE and ask them about that. *grin* GE Answer Center 1-800-626-2005 24 hours a day, 365 days a year

Posted on Dec 14, 2006

SOURCE: Microwave Fan won't shut off, no display

Depending on which brand you have I would think that the Thermal switch on top of the magnetron or one of the door switches has probably given up the ghost. However, if the display does not come on you probably have a micro or Psu fault on the display panel. Not to be attempted if you are not familiar with microwaves or electronics. Please unplug before opening. Good Luck, JUS004

Posted on Jan 05, 2008

SOURCE: No power from Whirlpool.

The problem was a defective switch. There are 3 switches on mine. 1 on the top door latch, and 2 on the bottom. one of the switches on the bottom connected the power and neutral together, unless it was activated at the same time as the other 2, causing the breaker to trip or the internal fuse to blow. When unhooking the wire going from this switch to the other switch, everything works great now. Though I still need to replace the switch.

And for Basic 1. Yes my microwave did have a fuse in it it's ceramic, I got a pack of them at Radio Shack 4 for 3$ 250V 20 Amp. There should be a wiring diagram inside the microwave, mine was inside a black bag, so it may be hard to see.

Mine was up top next to the fuse behind the Plastic Grill and then a small metal grill. Some are behind the control panel, to fix this remove the screw at the top and then slide the control panel up and it should unhinge.

Posted on Apr 01, 2008

MicrowaveSvc
  • 9047 Answers

SOURCE: microwave won't heat

Sorry my Clarification Request came out as a single blob of a paragraph.

That's not how I typed it. I never write that way!

So I've pasted it here, but as a solution.



Magnetrons generally should last about 2000 hours, but several factors can shorten that.

If it's not OVER ten years old (from the purchase date or the date on the tag inside the unit) then the magnetron is still under warranty.

From the owner's manual:

"For the second through the tenth year from the date of original purchase

"The magnetron tube, if the magnetron tube fails due to a defect in materials or workmanship. During this nine-year limited warranty, you will be responsible for any labor or in-home service costs.

"For the above limited warranty: To avoid any trip charges, you must take the microwave oven to a
General Electric Customer Care® servicer and pick it up following service. In-home service is also
available, but you must pay for the service technician’s travel costs to your home."


GE Customer Service is here, and you can verify the warranty status and find your nearest authorized servicer.

If you're sure the magnetron's bad, it's still under warranty, and you or a friend are handy, they will send you the magnetron to do it yourself. Call them at 888-239-6832.

Be persistent. You may have to speak with a supervisor.


It does sound like the magnetron overheated and the magnetron's thermostat opened until it cooled down.

An overheating magnetron can be due to:

  • operating oven without cover(s) in place
  • wrong magnetron installed in oven
  • an old or otherwise failing magnetron
  • cracked magnetron magnet
  • improper power line voltage (should be 110-125VAC)
  • foods low in moisture (popcorn & bacon, e.g. - add 1/2 cup of water in rear oven)
  • failed or inoperable cooling fan or hood vent exhaust fan
  • deteriorating foam weatherstripping seals in air ducts or on outside cover
  • blocked air vents (dust, animal nest debris, insufficient free air space behind & around oven, etc.)
  • clogged or greasy charcoal filter or grease filter
  • blocked duct in hood vent exhaust
Since yours is a counter top model, there are less of those factors to worry about.

When you hit Start to microwave, do the inside light, cooling fan, and turntable all come on?


Any unusual noises? Is it louder or quieter than usual?

We have a sound clip of what a microwave should sound like when the cooling fan and high voltage section are operating here.

You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts if needed by entering your full model number from the tag on the oven here.

Let us know what you find out or decide.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jul 07, 2009

  • 5 Answers

SOURCE: Microwave shorted out when metal grease filter contacted inside

It might be that the internal power fuse of the MW may have blown. You may have to just replace that fuse if possible. Other wise the electronics (most likely a circuit board) may have been blown.

Posted on Oct 17, 2009

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

JE1860SB 001 model


The magnetron can flash if there is metal inside the microwave

Jul 25, 2008 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Intermittent Power Loss


Take the unit apart and carefully inspect the wires under the keypad...short of that..junk it and get a new one. It seems they just don't make things the way tey used to.

Nov 19, 2013 | Samsung SMH9187 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a GE profile spacemaker xl 1800 microwave. I used it once this morning but then upon a second use some time after, there was nothing on the display, as if power was lost on it. I opened the door and...


The door switch may have become defective, cutting off power completely. When the oven restarts, it prompts you to set the clock just as it would if there had been a power interruption. It is possible that something has failed in the control logic and that probably will require attention from a repair technician.

Oct 31, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Model JE1860SB: microwave does not turn on. Was


The magnetron may have overheated due to a failure of the internal cooling fan, blocked air vent in the back, or a clogged filter, if so equipped.

You can find links to helpful exploded view diagrams and part ordering help here. I'd recommend that your bookmark this link to your favorites.

There should also be a "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or in an envelope on the inside of the cover, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, & testing.

Feel free to contact me directly (and please include your full model number from the tag in or on the unit) for a free estimate and free tips & do-it-yourself advice.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

William E. Miller
prototech@usa.net
http://www.microwavedisplay.com

Dec 05, 2009 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

GE EMO3000 Over the oven Microwave


Do you know if the fuse blew again? You may have a problem with the powers supply section that powers the main board. The main board controls the display and receives input commands from the keypad.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you.

Good luck!

- Jim

Feb 24, 2008 | GE EMO3000 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Whirlpool Microwave Model MH3184XP will not power up after power failure


The first thing to try is a "hard reset". Unplug it from the power line for a few minutes, plug it back in, set the clock, then try again. Let us know if the hard reset doesn't fix it.

If not, then you may have a problem is on the control panel, which we repair nationwide for $39.95 postpaid.

We have full details, plus *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site. You'll find a link to our site in our
listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Feb 11, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Maytag Over the Range Microwave


Assuming the entire power line from the breaker to the microwave cord is okay, it's almost certainly a bad connection on the circuit board of the control panel assembly. For reference, we repair these from all over the country for $32.50 postpaid.

Oct 16, 2006 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

11 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

75744 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...