Question about Microwave Ovens

Open Question

Microwave makes crackling sounds and smells like burning wires

Posted by Anonymous on

6 Suggested Answers

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

MicrowaveSvc
  • 9047 Answers

SOURCE: Crackling sound in microwave vent when power is off

By "powered off" can I assume you mean that it is plugged in and at idle, not cooking, just showing the clock?

If so, I'd say your control board is failing.

If my assumption is wrong, please write back with more details.

We regularly repair these control units for customers nationwide by mail for $39.95 postpaid in about a week with a one-year guarantee.

Feel free to contact me directly (and please remind me of your model number) for more information & help.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

William E. Miller
prototech@usa.net
http://www.microwavedisplay.com

Posted on Nov 09, 2008

rickzilla
  • 706 Answers

SOURCE: burning wire smell

Hello jvtmad1,
All of the previous comments are relatively good ideas but let me offer some additional advice,
First off, You need to determine if the burning smell is coming from the Microwave itself or from the receptacle that provides power to it. Most wall receptacles are rated for 15 amps and should easily handle your microwave ovens power requirements. A simple check might be to run a hair dryer on the same receptacle without the microwave plugged into it. They draw comparable power so that should eliminate the recptacle as the culpret, On the assumption that the burnt wire smell is coming from the microwave itself, then your best bet is to return it to the store for a repair or replacement. Unless you are properly trained on how to sservice that, you probably shouldn't attempt it. As stated in previous comments, it should still be under warranty. If you have a bad filament transformer, magnetron or the wiring between them, that is not something you want to fiddle with yourself.
In summary, eliminate the receptacle on the wall as being the problem first.
If you find tha your receptacle is the problem, then you may be able to remove or disable power to it by switching off teh appropriate circuit breaker or fuse.. then take off the face plate and check the integrity of the wires going to that receptacle and making sure they are tightly secured to the terminals of the receptacle. I would assume that if that were the problem, you would notice a burnt smell as soon as you took off the face plate. Hope some of thes ideas help you resolve your problem...
Regards,
Rick

Posted on Nov 22, 2008

  • 70 Answers

SOURCE: JVM 1660WB 003 GE Profile Microwave humming sound/burning smell

the magnetron the unit has gone bad.sometimes there is burning smell as u mentioned.it is little expensive repair arond $ 150.00.find out the price of new unit plus iistallation/delivery chg and then make a decision.

Posted on Aug 18, 2009

MicrowaveSvc
  • 9047 Answers

SOURCE: GE JVM1660BB Microwave makes loud noise when

With the symptoms you have, I would most strongly suspect a shorted high voltage rectifier diode or a bad magnetron.

There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.

At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.

You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

Here are some links you or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety warnings first:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html
(if it's not shorted or burned, it's probably okay)


http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/mag_test.html

To remove it from the wall, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.

You can download GE owner's manuals and installation instructions here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on May 31, 2010

heatman101
  • 43501 Answers

SOURCE: microwave smokes and smells like burning plastic

Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips
http://www.fixya.com/support/r5508031-microwave_oven_basic_troubleshooting

heatman101

Posted on Aug 07, 2010

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave smell like burning rubber


Good Afternoon Friend,

I understand that you are receiving a burning rubber smell from your Frigidaire microwave. I also see that your appliance will run for a couple of seconds, and then you hear a weird noise, followed by a burning rubber smell. I suggest contacting your local authorized technician, especially when dealing with your microwave. They will be able to diagnose your appliance and determine what is causing that sound as well as the burning rubber smell. Hope this is helpful.

-Best Regards-
WP

Jun 17, 2014 | Frigidaire Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

WHEN I USED MICROWAVE HAD BURNING SMELL & BLACK SOOT APPEARED. STILL HAVE POWER BUT DOESN'T COOK


Just had the same problem. It was an electrical short and the repairman said that it could have burned the kitchen wall and been a catastrophy. Get rid of it immediately!

Mar 02, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

The microwave looks like it is shorting out where the light inside the microwave is. Also it sounds like something is crackling when you turn it on. Sometimes it would smell like it was burning. Help, ...


sounds like the magnetron tube is starting to draw excessive current and arcing over to ground, or the high voltage cap is starting to leak thru and short-out.608-214-5632 or e-mail:applianceservice24_7@yahoo.com

Jul 05, 2010 | GE EMO3000 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

After a few seconds my microwave makes a crackling


check for scraps of foil, wire ties any type of metal or tin,or aluminumif not any of that, ur looking at a componet problem

May 23, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My microwave started making a crackling sound, I saw some sparks and there was a burning smell. I looked in the unit and the smell was coming from the circular cap, which I removed and then metal disk has...


You burned up the magnetron. It is not a hard replacement but requires a few checks first. I have a tip at http://www.fixya.com/support/r4265491-replace_bad_magnetron which explains the process in detail and lists where to buy the parts you will need. Let me know if you need more help.

hardrocko

Thanks for using FixYa

Mar 04, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Smells like burnt wires


It is very possible it may have burnt wire or burnt capacitor. Remove unit, remove top cover and look inside to see if you see any burn marks or burnt wires. Also check fuse to see if it is good or not.

Aug 07, 2009 | Whirlpool MH1141XM Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burn at bottom of microwave


First try cleaning the burned mark off. Dip a scrubber in lemon juice and sprinkle salt on it; this is also great for burned coffee pots. The smell can be gotten rid of this way: Boil lemon peel in water, then put the water in a spray bottle. Not only will it make your microwave smell fresh but the lemon oil will make it easier to clean. If it still smells of burning rubber, take the back off and inspect the wiring. IF you see burned wiring, please do yourself a favor and replace the microwave!

Microwaves work by making the molecules in food get "excited"-they move more-meaning, if there IS rubber burning, then there will be minute molecules of rubber in your food, which is BAD for your immune system. If it's just burned chocolate, though, it is harmless unless you are allergic.

Apr 03, 2008 | Danby DMW1400 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

38 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

75197 Answers

Cindy Wells

Level 3 Expert

5062 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...