Question about Sony STR-DE485 Receiver
When I turn on my STR-DE485 receiver, it broadcasts whatever is on...then receiver is silent and window display reads "PROTECT". I've checked speaker wire attachments to speaker backs for possible source of short circuit, I wonder what other D. I. Y. efforts might be exercised before making it unplugged and apart and sent for shop remedy? or maybe it's not worth the cost of repair and needs to R. I. P. Sincere thanks for thought and advice ! Mark
Normal short ciruit or over heat probs can be solved by DIY beyond that u have to take to a service centre. In ur case u've checked all possiblities of above listed, so its better to call the service personal
Posted on Jul 09, 2009
Are any other devices sitting on top of this unit? if so it could be an overheat.
If you have pets make sure the wires are not chomped on this can cause a fault.
Also make sure you have nothing other than the factory default speakers hooked up to it.
here is what the users manual says
im going to sum it up for ya. if it says protect that means you have a short circuit please unplug the unit resolve the short circuit and plug back in....... here is the link To the users manual
once it is opened as a PDF document go to the search/ find area and type in "protect" and it will say the same thing.
somewhere you have a short your going to have to follow all the wiring again and look closely
Posted on Jun 01, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Generally speaking, an amp protects itself from heat, shorts and overloads by refusing to turn on or stay on.
Overloads can be from excessive periods of high output and shorts would be wiring issues or a speaker blowing up.
You should be able to feel if it's hot. WHY is it overheating? Make sure it has sufficient ventilation on all sides and that vent holes are not blocked by dust balls. Ensure the fan (if equipped) is running as designed (some only operate on demand). Clean dust and debris from it.
If the amp comes back on after cooling, you're lucky. They only have so many self-protection cycles in their lives so continuously resetting or cycling their power without addressing the cause can do more harm than good.
If it protects immediately on a cool power up you should disconnect the speaker connections and try it 'naked'. If it comes up then diagnose which lead(s) are shorted. If it does not come up the problem is internal and should be left to an experienced hands-on tech.
Feb 04, 2011 | Sony STR-DE485 Receiver
Jan 16, 2011 | Sony STR-DE485 Receiver
Feb 26, 2010 | Sony STR-DE485 Receiver
Dec 12, 2009 | Sony STR-DE485 Receiver
Aug 21, 2009 | Sony STR-DE485 Receiver
Mar 24, 2009 | Sony STR-DE485 Receiver
313 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!