Question about Microsoft Windows Live Messanger
I upgraded to MSN 9 yesterday and now I am unable to log in. I'm getting error code 8e5e0408. I tried to go back to 8.5 but in Microsoft's infinite wisdom I'm unable to do that. I've tried clearing the cache and deleting registry still no luck. Running Windows Vista 32bit. Any help appreciated.
Check your event logs running C:\Windows\System32\eventvwr.exe
If you see lots of wlcomm errors under Windows Logs/Application, that means wlcomm has no access to your user directory.
To solve the problem:
1. Back up your user directory under c:\Users\%username% just in case
2. right-click on x:\users\%username% and go to properties
3. go to security tab and click advanced
4. Change the permission set to the following:
Type Name Permission Inhefited from Apply To
Allow %username% Full Control <not inherited> This folder, subfolders and files
Allow SYSTEM Full Control <not inherited> This folder, subfolders and files
Allow Administrators Full Control <not inherited> This folder, subfolders and files
Make sure you uncheck the "include the inheritable..." and "replace.." checkboxes.
Click OK and let it run.
Now you should be able to log on to Messenger.
if that doesnt help
1. Go to http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=a&querytype=topic&query=Default_Help_PROC_MessengerVersion.htm&market=en-us
2. Choose the Messenger version that you're using. (A new window will open).
3. On the new window, click any topic at the left side of the page
4. Click "Get more help" located at the bottom right part of the page
5. Click "Get support."
thank you good luck
Posted on May 30, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 02, 2010 | Microsoft MSN Messenger Connect Service
Dec 08, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Nov 05, 2009 | Microsoft Computers & Internet
Oct 27, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Live Messanger
May 12, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Live Messanger
May 06, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Live Messanger
Apr 08, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Live Messanger
Mar 20, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Live Messanger
Jan 10, 2009 | Microsoft Windows Live Messanger
1,285 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: