How to Install Cartridges on Printers Using the Lexmark Solution Center
To install a cartridge using the Solution Center:
- Make sure the printer is switched on, the old cartridges are still in the printer, and the cartridge cover is closed.
- Click on Start, Programs (XP: All Programs), Lexmark <Printer Name>, Lexmark <Printer Name> Solution Center.
- When the Solution Center screen appears, click on the Maintenance button on the left-hand side. (This button is the third from the top and bears a picture of ink drops.)
- When you see the Install or obtain a New Cartridge option, click on it once. A pop-up displays a brief description of how to physically remove an old cartridge and install a new one.
- Follow these instructions and click Next. The software will prompt you to confirm whether the cartridges are new or old.
- For the new cartridge you just inserted, select No, it's new. Important: Make sure the setting for any old cartridge stays on Yes, It is old.
- Once your selections have been made, click OK. The program will want to run the alignment for any new cartridges you installed. This applies whether you changed one or both cartridges (in the case of printers that can hold two cartridges). An alignment screen with a red and white bull's eye will appear.
- Make sure the cartridge cover is closed and that there is paper in the printer.
- Then click the Print button on the alignment screen. A sheet of paper will print from your printer with a series of arrows and numbers on it, with one set of solid bars above them. You should see four groups of lines, unless you have a single cartridge. If you have a single cartridge, you will only have one set of lines.
- In each group, locate the arrow that looks the most solid. It may help to circle the number under each arrow you choose as you go along.
- On your screen, you will see an area where you can enter the alignment values. When you have identified all the numbers, select those same numbers for each group on your screen, using the up and down arrows next to each value for A, B, C, and D (or A if you have only one cartridge).
- When all the numbers have been changed to reflect the chosen numbers on the printed alignment page, click OK. The cartridge installation procedure is complete.
- You can now exit from the Solution Center.