Was using Compaq Presario R4010US (less than 2.5 years old) with power adapter plugged in to recharge battery. Up until this point had never had a problem with unit charging and holding a charge. Unit went into hibernation mode and would not power back up. I initially thought power adapter not properly plugged in but connections were tight. Noted amber "lightening bolt" symboI on front of machine was flashing fast and then I detected a faint "acid" smell, almost like burnt plastic. No other lights on. I unplugged power adaptor but unit would not come on, probably because battery not recharged. I removed battery and plugged power adapter back in but unit would not power up. Instead, I saw a faint puff of smoke and possibly a spark come out from ethernet port located on back right side. (No ethernet plugged in.) I immediately unplugged power adapter. (Battery was not plugged in.) This does not appear to be a good sign. Can a power adapter (original HP model less than 2.5 years old) go bad and then fry the unit? Will a new power adapter resolve the problem or is the smoke/electrical spark indications unit got fried?
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If the laptop
battery is more than 3 - 4 years old then the battery could be worn out.
Rechargeable batteries have a finite number of charge and discharge cycles and
will lose their charge capacity over time, i.e. won't charge to 100% and
gradually the charge reduces until the battery won't charge up at all. OR The
battery shows a 100% charge but when the adapter is disconnected the battery
drops off to zero capacity in a very short time. If the battery drops to an
unacceptable charge level then the battery needs to be replaced.
Rechargeable batteries will fail if stored in a discharged
state for long periods.
If thelaptop battery is more than 3 - 4 years old then the battery could be worn out.Rechargeable batteries have a finite number of charge and discharge cycles andwill lose their charge capacity over time, i.e. won't charge to 100% andgradually the charge reduces until the battery won't charge up at all. OR Thebattery shows a 100% charge but when the adapter is disconnected the batterydrops off to zero capacity in a very short time. If the battery drops to anunacceptable charge level then the battery needs to be replaced.
If the laptop battery is more than 3 - 4 years old then the battery could be worn out. Rechargeable batteries have a finite number of charge and discharge cycles and will lose their charge capacity over time, until they won't charge up at all. Check power adapter’s DC plug that connects into the laptop power socket with a multi-meter, the voltage should be slightly higher than the voltage that is printed on the label on the bottom of the adapter. If the voltage is zero or way below the voltage that is printed on the label then the power adapter is faulty and needs to be replaced. If the adapter is OK then connect it to the laptop and power it up, then look at the power/battery charging LED light and wriggle the power plug in the laptop's power socket. If the power/battery LED light flashes and in a certain position this LED light stays firm, then the power socket is either faulty or it has a dry solder joint where it is connected to the motherboard. This can be repaired but it requires the laptop to be completely dismantled to get at this power socket and repair. If you cannot DIY then I suggest you get a quote first.
The problem is with the battery. All Lithium batteries last for around 1000 charges or so. Since the laptop is 2-years old the battery needs to be replaced.
I Hope this solves your problem. Kindly Accept my solution.
Check power out put of the adapter is it giving you the correct readings Try to remove the battery and run it from adapter itself check to see if its working Reset the battery ..by removing it from the system
When you install a new battery and remove a battery always make sure the laptop is completely shut off and have the power cord removed so that you avoid any possible power surge.
Batteries generally don't last much longer than a year and I have found removing the power cord or battery when it is off to be a good practice.
Before you charge a battery make sure it is run most all the way down. Recharging a battery when it is not run down can give it a memory and you may only be able to charge it up to the point you started charging it.
Anyway, if the computer won't charge a new battery then you could have a bad motherboard. To be sure try another battery.