Question about Dell Dimension 4600 PC Desktop
I need to format my compture
Process for Windows XP Re-installation
WINDOWS RE-INSTALLATION WILL WIPE OFF ALL THE DATA.
1. Insert Windows XP operating System Disk In The CD Drive.
2. Shut Down The system.
3. Disconnect Everything Except Mouse, Keyboard, Monitor And Power Cable i.e. something like internet, printer, USB PEN DRIVE or External Hard Drive.
4. Restart your system and start tapping F8 key on the keyboard until the DELL LOGO passes from the screen.
5. You will be seeing the BOOT DEVICE MENU.
6. Choose the option--> CD-ROM DEVICE or BOOT FROM CD-ROM.
7. When u highlight it and hit enter on it, the screen will show you PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD.
8. Hit enter Immediately on that screen without missing it otherwise all the step will be repeated back.
I'M ATTACHING FEW LINKS FOR YOU SO THAT YOU CAN DO THAT EASILY AND LEARN AS WELL SO THAT YOU MAY HELP OTHERS AS WELL. SO YOU JUST HAVE TO COPY AND PASTE THE LINKS GIVEN AFTER EVERY STEPS TO DO EVERYTHING SO EASILY.
9. Next screen will show --> WINDOWS SETUP, Set up is inspecting your hardware configuration AND THEN set up is loading files.
10. When u see the WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL SETUP SCREEN.
To set up WINDOWS XP now, press ENTER.
11. On the LICENSE AGREEMENT SCREEN hit F8 to accept the LICENSE AGREEMENT.
12. Now the Screen will show u the EXISTING PARTITION on your computer so select one at a time and then hit D to DELETE the partition and if it askd for confirmation then hit ENTER to confirm DELETION of the partition. Delete all the EXISTING PARTITION until you see just UNPARTITIONED SPACE.
13. When all the partition are deleted then HIT ENTER to INSTALL.
14. The next screen will ask u to CREATE PARTITIONS so its up to u how many partition u will create. Well i will strongly recommend 2 or maximum 3 partitions. So choose the size accordingly.
Create C PARTITION of 20480 MB.
15. When u r done with creating partition then just hit ENTER on the NEXT SCREEN and make sure that the HIGHLIGHTED PARTITION IS C ON THE SCREEN.
16. Now you will see the FORMAT PARTITION SCREEN so choose the option FORMAT THE PARTITION USING THE NTFS FILE SYSTEM.
17. Now time to GET SOME TEA OR COFFEE DUDE because now you will see the SET UP IS FORMATTING THE PARTITIONS so we have to wait few minutes.
18. Next Screen Will Show u that SET UP IS COPYING FILES with a moving yellow bar.
19. Keep yourself busy with the COFFEE MUG DUDE.
20. Now u juss have to sit and relax for next few minutes.
21. Get one more coffee for yourself my friend.
22. On the Regional and Language Options Screen you just have to click on the NEXT BUTTON on bottom right hand side.
23. On the next screen you need to fill the required details as you would like my friend and then click next.
24. The next step may or may not come in your screen which is to enter the PRODUCT KEY for the WINDOWS XP as we will use the OPERATING SYSTEM DISK which i believe u must have got from dell but in case you got this screen enter the PRODUCT KEY and click next. It would be located on the DISK COVER or on the BACK OF YOUR DELL DIMENSION 4600 on a WHITE BAR CODED STICKER AND IT WOULD BE OF 25 DIGIT ALPHANUMERIC.
25. The next screen is of Computer Name and Administrator Password. You just have to enter the Computer Name and leave the Administrator Password Box blank and click next.
26. The Date And Time Settings screen will come up so kindly choose the correct date and time settings with TIMEZONE.
27. Now the time will come when you may go and have a burger because this process will take nearly half hour and will keep showing you its progress my friend.
28. Network Settings Screen don't bother yourself and concentrate on the burger and click next.
29. Workgroup and Computer Domain Screen so click next only.
30. Display Settings or Resolution Screen.
31. Don't even bother if these screen don't come up.
32. Bill Gates Thanksgiving Screen. Click next.
33. Windows Updates Screen. So choose first option.
34. Click Next If u got this screen which most probably you will not.
35. Internet Settings Screen. Choose the second option saying No this computer will connect directly to the internet and click next.
36. User Account Screen. Please quickly create the user accounts.
37. Thank You Screen.
38. Welcome User name Screen. So choose your user name and log in.
39. WINDOWS XP RE-INSTALLATION COMPLETED.
SO NOW YOUR NEED TO INSTALL THE DRIVERS FOR AUDIO, VIDEO, CHIPSET AND NETWORK WITH THE DELL DIMENSION RESOURCE CD i.e. Drivers And Utilities CD. Or visit the following link from any other computer and DOWNLOAD the drivers and put it onto a USB PEN DRIVE OR A CD and then install it on to your DIMENSION 4600.
LINK FOR DRIVERS
VIDEO DRIVER ( U NEED TO CHOOSE THE SPECIFIC VIDEO DRIVER)
NETWORK DRIVER FOR INTERNET
Posted on May 25, 2009
Before you touch a key have you made all of the backups of any files you need and have you got the installation discs for both the operating system (XP ?) and the Motherboard plus any other hardware you have installed.
Are you trashing your PC because it has a fault or a virus on the hard drive.
If it is a virus you really need to format it in a clean PC before you re-install Windows.
Once you have made your mind up to do a format with a virus free disk then you will need a bootable copy of Windows.
Start the PC hit F2 to get into the Setup BIos screen
Change the 1st boot device to be the CD Rom , Save and Exit
Insert the Windows disk into the CD drive and do a re-start it will prompt you if you wish to format the hard drive say yes (Quick Format)
Follow the prompts and make note of any messages given
The machine should come back to life but will need the Motherboard disk inserting to install the correct drivers for video etc.
If you are not really up to speed with PC's I would ask someone who is to do this work as you can have many hours of hard work ahead of you if something does not install correctly
Posted on May 25, 2009
Click start,my computer, look under hard disc drives, find your hard drive, right click on it, look down find format and click on it.
Posted on May 25, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 07, 2014 | Cars & Trucks
Jan 12, 2014 | ValuSoft Bearware Millennium Game Pack for...
Jun 21, 2013 | Sony 1GB Memory Stick PRO Duo Memory Card
Jan 12, 2013 | Office Equipment & Supplies
Jul 22, 2011 | HP DeskJet F380 All-In-One Printer
Oct 22, 2010 | Motorola Mobility L6 Cellular Phone
May 20, 2010 | Acer AM5641-B5560A Desktop PC & Monitor...
May 20, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Aug 12, 2009 | Gateway Computers & Internet
Jan 11, 2009 | Motorola Mobility RAZR V3i Cellular Phone
Apr 18, 2014 | Dell Dimension 4600 PC Desktop
257 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!