I have tried to install my windows XP operating system by booting at CD installer. But when the PC is ready for installation. It stop & message appears to "STOP c0000221 Unknown Hard Error systemRoot System32 ntdll.dll". thanks for any help you can give.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
In BIOS change the boot order such that CD/DVD comes first. You will also need to make sure your hard drive runs in IDE mode since Windows XP doesn't support sata drives by default. FYI XP is going end of life early 2014.
How to reinstall Windows XP operating system or installing fresh copy of Windows XP on your computer.
If your Windows XP operating system had problem due to corrupted files, viruses problem or you want to upgrade your system. This procedure will guide you in reinstalling your current Windows XP or installing fresh copy.
After this installing process, you need all your hardware drivers like Chipset Intel driver, LAN driver, Sound driver, WAN driver, Webcam driver and others for the computer to be fully operational. Otherwise, do not proceed on reinstalling you operating system if your do not have those hardware drivers.
CDROM drive is required for installing Windows XP. If you don't have in your notebook computer, use external CDROM drive to connect in your computer using a USB cable.
1. To start with, you need to back up your in blank CD all your important files before you begin installation produre because all the data will be wipe out.
2. When ready, start your computer and when booting press F2 to BIOS setting.
3. On BIOS menu, choose the BOOT setting and change the priority boot to CDROM, exit and save.
In some laptops, you can skip this BIOS setting process by repeatedly pressing F9 key or F10key when booting your computer and it will run boot priority on CD.
4. Once you exit from BIOS, you computer will reboot and a message will appear " Press any key to boot from CD", press any key to enter into WINDOWS XP SET UP.
5. Belows instruction messages will appear:
* To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER * To repair Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R * To quit set up without installing Windows XP, press F3
Press ENTER to initiate the installation.
6. You will go to Windows XP license agreement and press F8 to agree.
7. You will ask you if you want to REPAIR or REINSTALL the operating system. It will appear like this. Just press ESC to proceed.
A. To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R. B. To continue installing fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press ESC.
From repairing your operating system, it will not removed all your files and other software installed in your computer including your hardware drivers installed. Just fixing the operating system.
For reinstalling the operating system, you need to back up all you files because it will wipe out all you datas in your computer.
8. After that, it ask you where partition you want to install the operating system. The message will display like this :
C : Partition1 [NTFS] D : Partition2 [NTFS] Unpartitioned Space
Use the directional key to navigate and choose C: Partition1 if you want reinstalling Windows XP and press enter.
If you want clean copy of Windows XP, you need to delete both partition by pressing L and install clean copy at Unpartitioned space. By these procedure, you will have C: drive only. D: Drive is delete.
9. After choosing the desire partition. this will appear :
* Format the partition using NTFS files system * Format the partition using the NFTS file
I suggest to choose the first line which is the quick format. The 2nd line take too much time to install the operating system. Press to initiate the installation and it will be finish and reboot automatically. PART OF WINDOWS INSTALLATION IS FINISHED.
If you had interrupted installation which is asking for certain driver file, your CD installer maybe damage which cause files to be unreadable. Try to replace the new Windows XP installer CD to proceed and until finished installing OS.
10. Once it reboots, this time do not boot from CD or do not press any key to go to PART2 OF WINDOWS XP INSTALLATION PROCESS.
11. On the opening, regional and laguage option will appear, jus click next.
12. The it will ask to type your name & organization. Put you name and company if any and click next
13. Then, it will ask for CD key and type the 25 character CD key and click next
14. Then it will ask for computer name. You can change or leave it and click next.
15. Then, set your date and time zone and click next.
16. Then, it will ask you for workgroup and computer domain, just leave it and click next.
17. Now wait until the installation process end and it will again restart automatically.
18. Again, do not boot from CD and display setting will appear. Just click OK.
19. welcom to Microsoft Windows screen will appear. Just click next.
20. Helps protect your PC will appear and choose Turn on Automatic Updates ( Only if you install genuine Windows XP). Otherwise, I suggest to choose "Not right not" if you are installing copy only of Windows XP.
21. Who will use this computer message will appear. Just type your name on the first box and click next.
Also for your reference, here is the video for your convenient .
A thank you message will appear, Just click next and it is finished.
I hope it helps you and thank you for using FixYa !
For repairing the operating system here is the blog as other want it.
As per others demand, here is the video for Windows 7 and Windows Vista Operating system
boot your computer with windows XP cd. it will install winXP automatically but remember to install windows XP other than the drive where your win7 is. for examp: if your win7 is in C drive, install XP in D drive.
hope you can do.
Press F1, ie for Gateway to enter Bios settings.
Go to your BIOS MENU,
From "Boot options" set 1st boot to "removable drives" save the setting, ie if you are using an external CD/DVD or USB flash drive. If you are using an external CD/DVD Rom, ensure that the power supply to the external CD/DVD Rom drive is sufficient.
If you are getting message the message "selected boot device not available" that is because you have do not have a bootable HDD (Hard Disk). Please do the following:
Insert the Windows XP Operating system Disk. Restart the computer and start Tapping the F12 key, It will give you the boot options. Select to boot from CD/DVD-Rom When prompted press any key to boot from CD-Rom Once the computer is booted from CD, follow the instructions to install the Operating system. Note: You can also go to BIOS (by pressing F2 or Delete) and change the boot device to CD-ROM
Once you finish installing the Windows Operating system. You can go ahead with installation of your Linux Operating system. After you finish Installing Linux you will get the option in GRUB to select the Operating systems.
If you have already installed Linux and want to install the Windows, Follow the same procedure but it will directly boot Windows after you finish Installing Windows. You will have to write the GRUB again for your Linux system.
Please get back for any further assistance.
If you find this solution helpful, Please do not forget to rate it.
Configure the computer to start from the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
drive. For information about how to do this, see your computer documentation, or
contact your computer manufacturer.
Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM
drive, and then restart your computer.
When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message,
press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
When you receive the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R to
start the Recovery Console.
If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select
the installation that you have to use from the Recovery Console.
When you are prompted, type the administrator
password, and then press ENTER.
At the command prompt, type bootcfg
/list, and then press ENTER. The entries in your current Boot.ini
file appear on the screen.
At the command prompt, type bootcfg
and then press ENTER. This command scans the hard disks of the computer
for Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Microsoft Windows NT
installations, and then displays the results. Follow the instructions
that appear on the screen to add the Windows installations to the
Boot.ini file. For example, follow these steps to add a Windows XP
installation to the Boot.ini file:
When you receive a message that is similar to the
following message, press Y:
Total Identified Windows Installs:
 C:\Windows Add installation to boot list?
You receive a message that is similar to the following message: Enter Load Identifier This
is the name of the operating system. When you receive this message, type the name
of your operating system, and then press ENTER. This is either
Microsoft Windows XP Professional or
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.
You receive a message that is similar to the following:
Enter OS Load options When you receive this message, type
/fastdetect, and then press ENTER.
instructions that appear on your screen may be different, depending on
the configuration of your computer.
and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console. Your computer restarts,
and the updated boot list appears when you receive the "Please select
the operating system to start" message.
what i can suggest u is(1) boot from the cd first to do that at the starting of booting press del key in keyborad and u will go to cmos there u change the first boot priority to the cdrom then save and exit the setup put the xp cd in cdrom restart the computer and it will show like boot from cd windows xp... press enter it will boot and then follow the instructions or (2) else if u alredy have any operating system working on ur comp then go to the operating system and then put the xp cd the cd will auto run there it show u setup or install windows xp after that it will boot from there follow the instructions any of the comp can have windows xp might be u have got a non bootable disk then go to the(2)solution