There are a number of single issues that can cause your problem in this case. The most common are listed below:
1.) Color cartridge expended.
2.) Print Paper selection incorrect.
From your statement above. I would suggest it is both item 1 and 2. Since, we are doing this assistance via chat mail, I can't come to your aid and witness myself what the results are and what your settings are for the paper type.
When you end up with a red hue over all over the print area the cause it usually a bad print head and selecting the wrong paper type.
To answer you question then, Yes, replace your color cartridge. But, first, try this method below to clean your color cartridge bubble jets.
When you go to print a job, always go into print setup or printer properties and choose the paper type as closely as you can to match the paper you are using.
The print head manual cleaning is listed below, it is from Lexmark. Below that is a process to clean blurry and bad print results. Although this is not specifically the case in your problem. The process to achieve resolution will also correct any problem your machine may be having. Remember, I do believe you need a new color cartridge. You will know with certainty however when you clean the cartridge head. If you do not see, cyan, magenta and yellow lines upon cleaning, at all, ever, then those inks are depleted. Replace your ink cartridge and then do these steps below the head cleaning.
Also, when ever you change a black or color cartridge you will want to run a print head alignment test and adjustment. There is enough of a difference in cartridges that this is quite necessary.
Please do not hesitate to give me as much feedback as possible on any issues and results you discover. You can use the comment text area below to respond to these instructions and give me the results of your tests and procedures.
Regards, WorldvetCleaning procedure
- Remove the print cartridges.
- Moisten a clean, lint-free cloth with water.
- Gently hold the cloth against the nozzles for about three seconds, and then wipe in the direction shown below.
- Using another clean section of the cloth, gently hold the cloth
against the contacts for about three seconds, and then wipe in the
- With another clean section of the cloth, repeat steps 2 through 4 above.
- Allow the nozzles and contacts to dry completely.
- Reinsert the print cartridges.
- Print the document again.
- If the print quality does not improve, repeat the steps for cleaning the nozzles and contacts up to two more times.
To Resolve Print Quality Issues (below is for blurry lines, it will resolve many other issues too, so proceed after replacing your color ink cartridge if upon cleaning you see no ink coming out and the cartridge feels very light and makes little to no sound when you shake the cartridge.)
This article outlines various techniques for resolving a blurry
print issue. Cleaning the print cartridge nozzles is necessary when:
Clean the Print Cartridge Nozzles using the Computer
- Characters are not printing completely.
- White dashes appear in graphics or printed text.
- Print is smudged or too dark.
- Vertical, straight lines are not smooth.
- Colors on print jobs are faded, or they differ from the colors on the screen.
Clean and Wick the Cartridge
- Load plain paper.
- Open the Lexmark Solution Center (go to Start, Programs, Lexmark XXXX Series, Lexmark Solution Center).
- From the Maintenance tab, click Clean to fix horizontal streaks.
- Click Print. A nozzle page prints, forcing ink through to clean the clogged nozzles.
- Print the document again to verify that print quality has improved.
- If print quality has not improved, try cleaning the print cartridge nozzles up to two more times.
Auto Alignment · Align the print cartridges
- Try cleaning and wicking the cartridge to help improve the print quality. See this article for directions.
- When this step is complete, try to run the clean print nozzles (CPN) operation again.
Align the print cartridges after installing them to improve print quality. To do this:
User the Quality Settings in Print Properties
- Load plain paper.
- Open the Lexmark Solution Center.
- From the Maintenance tab, click Align to fix blurry edges.
- Click Print. NOTE: Discard the page after it prints.
Print Properties is the software that controls the printing function
when the All-In-One is connected to a computer. You can change the
settings in Print Properties based on the type of project you want to
create. Do the following:
- With a document open, click File, Print.
- In the Print dialog, click the Properties (or Preferences, or Options, or Setup) button. The Print Properties screen appears.
Click here for an enlarged view.
- Try changing the following settings to see if your print quality improves:
Multiple Copies·Specify how the All-In-One should print several copies of a single print job: collated or uncollated.
Print Color images in Black and White·Select this to print color images in black and white.
Paper Type·Select the type of paper you are using, or allow the printer sensor to select the paper type for you.
Paper Size·Select the size of the paper you are using, and specify whether or not you want to print borderless.
Orientation·Specify how you want the document oriented on the printed page - portrait or landscape.
Layout·Select the print layout you require.
Duplexing·Select this option when you want to print on both sides of the paper.
From the Save Settings
menu, you can name and save the current Print Properties
settings for future use. You can save up to five custom settings
I Want To
The I Want To
menu appears when you open Print Properties
It contains a variety of task wizards·printing a banner, printing a
poster, printing a photograph, printing an envelope, printing on both
sides of the paper·to help you select the correct print settings for a
Check the Media
If the print is still
blurry, try printing the same image on a different media brand/type:
plain paper designed for use with inkjet printerscard stockgreeting
cards, index cards, postcards, or photo cardscoated paperphoto or
glossy papertransparenciesiron-on transfersbanner paper
Use the Lexmark Photo Editor
Try printing a higher quality image, or print an image from a different source.