Perform a hard reset by removing the battery from the smartphone andreinserting it. For more information on this procedure, see KB02141
A reset of a BlackBerry smartphone is a troubleshooting method thatcompletely turns off and restarts the BlackBerry smartphone's operatingsystem software and applications. It is a useful first step if aBlackBerry smartphone is experiencing hardware, software, or wirelessnetwork problems. Note:
A reset of a BlackBerry smartphone does not delete any settings or data.
There are two options for performing a reset: a hard reset and a soft reset.
A hard reset
involves physically removing thebattery from the BlackBerry smartphone and then reinserting it. Toperform a hard reset, complete the following steps:
- Remove the battery cover from the back of the BlackBerry smartphone.
- Remove the battery, and then reinsert it after a few seconds.
- Replace the battery cover.
A soft reset
is a three-key combination that resetsthe BlackBerry smartphone without removing the battery. It is onlyavailable on BlackBerry smartphone models with a QWERTY keyboard. Donot attempt to perform a soft reset on BlackBerry smartphones that areequipped with SureType® technology or the SurePress™ touch screen, suchas the BlackBerry® Pearl™ Series, BlackBerry® Pearl™ Flip Series, andBlackBerry® Storm™ smartphone.
To perform a soft reset, complete the following steps:
- Press and hold the Alt key on the BlackBerry smartphone.
- While holding down the Alt key, press and hold the Right Shift key.
- With both of those buttons still pressed, press the Backspace/Deletekey. The display on the BlackBerry smartphone turns off to indicatethat the reset has started, and the keys can now be released.
Some BlackBerry smartphones do not displaythe Alt, Right Shift, and Backspace/Delete keys in the same manner.However, the location of the keys does not change. Refer to thefollowing graphic for key position
If the error message persists, perform a reload or upgrade theBlackBerry Device Software. For more information on this procedure visit http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/