Question about GE Microwave Ovens

Open Question

Potato caught on fire in microwave

It is s over the stove microwave so it is harder to work with. won't come on and smells.

Posted by Anonymous on

Ad

6 Suggested Answers

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad
erpaalai
  • 999 Answers

SOURCE: BAked Potato caught on fire in GE Microwave

Fuse is behind the control panel. Has cavity sensors and a magnatron thermal disc also. Start with the fuse and then pull it down if not the problem. Eric

Posted on Aug 27, 2009

Testimonial: "Thanks Eric...now I'll have to find the control panel.I guess you've figured out by now I'm just a girl trying to do a guys job. (smile)"

Ad
sonicboomele
  • 1557 Answers

SOURCE: sweet potatoe caught fire in my microwve

the magnatron super heated the paper combined with what we in the industry call super combust your micro should be ok to use just keep it clean and if you use toweling wraP it around rather than cover

Posted on Apr 21, 2010

heatman101
  • 43501 Answers

SOURCE: Checked fuse it's ok only

Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips
http://www.fixya.com/support/r5508031-microwave_oven_basic_troubleshooting

heatman101

Posted on Aug 11, 2010

heatman101
  • 43501 Answers

SOURCE: a potato caught fire and now my microwave won't

Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips
http://www.fixya.com/support/r5508031-microwave_oven_basic_troubleshooting

heatman101

Posted on Aug 24, 2010

domotek
  • 591 Answers

SOURCE: put a potato in microwave it caught on fire dish

When cooking a potato in the microwave Without puncturing it with a fork... it definitively EXPLODS braking the CAROUSSEL PLATEAU and probably damaging some delicate electronics inside, (you have to pearce the potato with a fork to let steem out when cooking) if you are lucky it could be just a blown fuse inside, have it checked by a proffessional (there is normally no reset for a microwave oven exception maiby for the control panel)

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 14, 2011

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

While baking a sweet potato, the potato exploded and caught on fire. The microwave no longer works.a fire bro


I haven't heard of such a thing. You must have cooked it until there was no moisture left in the potato. That would also account for the failure of the oven. It would be the same as no load in the oven.
A thermal protect part is your current problem.

Apr 02, 2014 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Put a potato in microwave it caught on fire dish broke no power to the microwave...did I kill it for good or is there a reset button on it...the microwave in build into my cabinets back of microwave is...


When cooking a potato in the microwave Without puncturing it with a fork... it definitively EXPLODS braking the CAROUSSEL PLATEAU and probably damaging some delicate electronics inside, (you have to pearce the potato with a fork to let steem out when cooking) if you are lucky it could be just a blown fuse inside, have it checked by a proffessional (there is normally no reset for a microwave oven exception maiby for the control panel)

Good luck!

Jan 14, 2011 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

A potato caught fire and now my microwave won't work ...is there anything I can do to fix it???


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips
http://www.fixya.com/support/r5508031-microwave_oven_basic_troubleshooting

heatman101

Aug 24, 2010 | Maytag MMV4203D Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Sweet potatoe caught fire in my microwve


the magnatron super heated the paper combined with what we in the industry call super combust your micro should be ok to use just keep it clean and if you use toweling wraP it around rather than cover

Apr 21, 2010 | Amana ACO1860 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Get rid of burned smell in Microwave


I decided to buy a new microwave. I am resistant to paying a monthly fee to FixYa as I have so few "breakdowns" in my house each year.

Dec 29, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Food in micro caught fire


It may have dried out from over cooking.

This is common in potatoes, popcorn, and other low-moisture foods.

The manual will tell you about that, and it will also tell you not to leave a microwave unattended while it's running.

Nov 23, 2009 | Sharp Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Potato caught fire during cooking. Microwave has


Hello, inside most microwaves, there is a thermal fuse, that if something in the cooking cavity is on fire, it will melt the thermal fuse, if it gets hot enough, thus breaking the power to the unit shutting it off. This sounds like what has happened to yours, simply replacing it will correct the problem. It is usually located near a cavity exhaust point. If you aren't comfortable doing this, as it requires removing the outer cover, while unplugged, and locating/replacing it, take it to a appliance service co. This will of course cost more, if you do it yourself, make sure you provide all of your make/model/serial/anything else, that will identify your unit, and call/go online to a parts retailer, and you should be able to get it done fairly cheap.

Hope this helps, and thank you.

Mar 01, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

FIRE


Manufacturers will note that they warn in their owner manuals to never leave a microwave running unattended, so they won't help you any further, I'm sure.

Mmost modern microwaves have a flame sensor inside that will shut the microwave down completely in case flames get too high.

Then the cooling fan and power will shut off, and the fire will almost certainly be smothered pretty quickly due to a lack of air inside the oven.

Also, the inside is metal, thus the only fuel for the fire would have been the potato, which would not have lasted long.

So as scary and disturbing as this event was, I would say the real danger of a fire outside of the oven was miniscule.

The fire probably occured due to a dry or irregular spot in the skin of the potato. Once it's dry, it will of course burn much easier.

So now to the smell...

You should do a Google search on "odor microwave" or "microwave smell" where you can find tips on boiling water & baking soda, then vinegar and water in the microwave to neutralize the smell.

If your microwave does not work, then it may have blown the flame sensor (thermal fuse) and that would have to be replaced.

Please let us know if we can help further.

Nov 15, 2007 | Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?

Open Questions:

0 Answers

GE Microwave JVM1441BH04: Safe to reconnect replacement stirrer & turntable motors after accidentally burning out the turntable motor? GE JVM1441BH04 Over Stove Microwave: Tapping noise was coming from the 21v AC stirrer motor which sits atop the cooking chamber. I disconnected the two connecting leads, unfastened the single screw holding it on, placed in on my scanner glass to get a high rez photo of all the specifics listed on the motor label. Bad news: While waiting for the scan to finish, I warmed my coffee in the microwave on the highest heat for 30 seconds. I subsequently discovered the 21v AC turntable motor, which had been working just fine, was now no longer working, with infinite resistance across its terminals, and a burnt electrical smell. Both the stirrer and turntable motors are powered by a 24v tap off the magnetron fan. My theory: By running the microwave with the stirrer motor out of the circuit, I delivered excessive voltage to the turntable motor, which quickly fried. The 24v tap off the magnetron fan motor currently shows the correct 24v output. However, with both the stirrer motor and turntable motor disconnected, running the microwave for a few seconds shows approx 95v across the wire leads for both of the 21v motors. I have obtained replacement motors for both the noisy stirrer motor and the fried turntable motor. My question: Can I simply reconnect both motors in their proper locations, vow never again to run one without the other connected, and all will be well? Or will the newly installed motors simply be fried in a matter of seconds?

Jan 04, 2018 | GE Microwave Ovens

Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

15 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9086 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1179 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...