An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: sounds like cooking metal
I once had a similar problem. look at where microwaves enter the oven chamber and look for some sort of food splatter screen. possible the splatter has accumulated over time. mine was baked on so I actually boiled it out in a pan of boiling water. problem cured.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
no this is the magnetron do not plug the unit in or turn the unit on or you will be seeing alot more then pretty lights this has become a fire hazard and it would be up to you on replaceing the magnetron in your unit preferably consider the cost of the unit compared to the cost of the magnetron they usually run over 100.00 just for the piece if you have any further questions message me back and please remember to rank how this opinion has helped it allows me to help others in similar situations Thanks Rick
there is something metal inside that is causing this look for any screws or anything that may have been switch with a repair. what happens is the metal causes the microwaves to reflect back to the magnetron instead inside the food causing noises and sometimes sparks and odor. find the metal object remove it and this should solve your problem
hi, running it with nothing in it will cause it no harm, the only object that will cause it any harm is if you place anything metalic inside it whilst it is switched on.
to clean a microwave most people place a bowl of clean water inside and put the microwave on high for 5 to 10 min doing this breaks up any grime stuck inside the microwave making it easier to wipe off, you can also put a wet cloth in a bowl and switch it on doing this does the same as a bowl of water.
so the only thing that can cause damage is anything with metal in it this will cause it to short out.
Remove the outer cover and look for a blown fuse. Change the high voltage diode (pull the power plug first) and the 'stirrer' (a fan-like device located inside the sheet metal waveguide near the port where the microwave energy enters the cooking cavity). It's plastic bearing will arc-over causing a short circuit on the microwave energy.
Hi there - I assume you have a rack in the Microwave. What happens is the rack due to putting something in and out of the Microwave some times wears against the back wall of the cooking chamber. As this happens it wears through the paint and exposes the metal casework.
You then get microwave arcing between the metal rack in the microwave and the cooking compartment casing which gives that spitting popping sound. I would say get some white model paint and paint over the scorched spot (as long as its not gone so far as to wear a hole in the case work).
Wait for it to dry and stick the rack back in and try again to warm up a cup of coffee or something and see if it stops.
Also if you pull the grill slightly forward in the holders towards the door and test it you may notice that it doesn't pop as much so I would paint it and pull the grill forward and see if you still get the issue.
It sounds like you could have one or two problems. Using the oven with metal in it could cause the magnatron to go bad at its tip causing it to arc and making a popping sound. It could be that there is bare metal exposed somewhere causing the popping sound. Take it in for service!!
In order to try to set your mind at ease I will have to explain the Basics on how a Microwave Oven Functions.
When a Microwave Oven is set to COOK ...START. It cooks at 100%. There is no lowering of the heat as with a Range ( Cook Top) Control. So in order to do the other things such as DEFROST, WARM, or anything other than 100% COOK. A COOK ON- COOK OFF system was utilized. To DEFROST, the Microve COOKS at 100% for 30% of the TIME, then IDLES for 70% of the TIME. COOK ON 30% of the TIME, COOK OFF 70% of the TIME = DEFROST This is why you can hear the CYCLE. More power is required during the ON CYCLE, thus the lower vibration. The Vibration occurs when the High Voltage Transformer is turned ON ( COOK ON).
The VIBRATION seems to have got louder with age. This is somewhat normal as there is a vibration from the High Voltage Transformer present every time the Microwave is used. screws and other metal parts seem to get loose with this vibration. There is no solution, unless you can tighten EVERY screw, nut, and bolt in the unit.