Why is Isaac Newton famous?
He is one of the few acknowledged geniuses in the history of science. There is argument about who qualifies beyond he and Einstein, to a greater or lesser degree, but not about these top 2.
Newton was a polymath too, an all-round genius. He is responsible for
- the laws of motion
- the law of universal gravitation
- proving Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion
- the first theory of colour and spectrum
- the first practical reflecting telescope
- jointly with Leibniz, the mathematical calculus
He was famous in his own time, but was not always an attractive person, being sometimes cranky, argumentative and ungenerous.
Lagrange said Newton amongst scientists was "the most fortunate, for we cannot find more than once a system of the world to establish."
May 29, 2014 |