I havent switched my laptop on for a few months and i tryed to switch it on but it keeps coming up to set the date on start-up, i keep following ok and it keeps taking me back to the same place, then when i press cancel it comes up with the error 00161 and 00163. I have no mannual to the laptop, please help me out!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
From what you are stating it seems like your backlight in your lcd needs to be replaced. Plug an external monitor up to your laptop. Press the fn & f key (the one with the picture of a monitor in it.) Your diplay should project to the monitor. Display is ok.....replace the backlight.
1) This is a typical problem when the CMOS battery is very weak or dead, it will continually display the date and time and reboot with the same errors until you change the CMOS battery. On this model it is behind the door that houses the memory chip, above the battery, if you have the laptop turned over and battery closest to you. <--best bet, its a dead CMOS battery.
2) You can get to the BIOS to run tests, one of 2 ways, either hit the ESC key and other keys to get a 301 error or hold the F1 key and boot, you should get into BIOS. (You probably won't be able to do this until you replace the CMOS battery.) From there you can run diagnostic tests on various components.
3) Lastly, you can update the BIOS. From inside the EASY-SETUP bios you should be able to copy the BIOS part number, date, etc. Look for the BIOS update based upon model # either thru a search on the web or directly on the IBM website (a search on google of "bios update thinkpad 380ed" will bring up a link for the IBM page.) If you choose to do a BIOS update, read the directions carefully and remember not to power off the machine while the update is happening. If you've never updated a BIOS before, get someone who has to walk you thru it before attempting it by yourself.