Question about Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Smoke and burning plastic smell in microwave oven

Smoke and strong burning plastic smell in microwave oven

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 3,961 Answers

Burning plastic, not food? A component has overheated badly then, with a plastic case. The main suspect would be the high voltage capacitor in the magnetron supply. This is cheap and easily replaced ONLY IF you know what you are doing and can diagnose the fault. If you don't then DO NOT take the case off the unit as fatal voltages can be present inside even if the unit is unplugged.

I'd just buy another, as they are generally uneconomical to have repaired by a service tech.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014

5 Suggested Answers

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

  • 352 Answers

SOURCE: left fyring pan in oven during cleaning cycle

hi dr68,

The service techs at servepro fire/water damage cleanup and restoration might have a few free suggestions, they deal with smoke damage/residual odor issues every day.

Servpro Industries, Inc.
801 Industrial Boulevard
Gallatin, TN 37066

Phone: (615) 451-0200
Fax: (615) 451-0291


anaanymous

Posted on Oct 16, 2008

  • 52 Answers

SOURCE: sparks in oven

the burning is normally caused by a small particle of food getting stuck on the waveguide cover, this then carbonises and starts to arc. replacing cover should return oven to normal

Posted on Feb 23, 2009

MicrowaveSvc
  • 9047 Answers

SOURCE: Sharp R-930 Microwave/convection turntable support burned

We have the service manual for this model and have uploaded it for you here.

You can order parts from Encompass here or you can call them toll-free at 866-779-5835.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jan 16, 2010

  • 6771 Answers

SOURCE: sharp microwave burning smell

Replace the microwave oven, the problem is the magnetron, "heart of the system" and the most expensive part.

Posted on May 05, 2012

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have a Neff multifunction and the microwave part is playing up now, sometimes it stops half way through re heating and then I have to wait a minute or so before I am able to restart. Also there is a...


Is it a plastic burning smell? It sounds like the magnetron is overheating. Can you hear the cooling fan running? Is there anything blocking the vents on the unit?

Feb 03, 2015 | Neff Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Sharp microwave burning smell


Replace the microwave oven, the problem is the magnetron, "heart of the system" and the most expensive part.

May 04, 2012 | Sharp Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Our JVM1850 makes strange noises, its lights flicker, the microwaves smokes and the unit emits a burning plastic smell. This unit is only 1 1/2 years old.


Hi,


Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Basic
Microwave Oven Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101


[\]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Feb 15, 2011 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave stopped working with no warning. They had a recall on this model and since they ordered two parts it has not worked right


Just had my Kitchen Aid Microwave KHMS155LSS burn up and bellow smoke.

Thankfully, I was close by, stopped the microwave, vented the smoke, turned off the circuit breaker and unplugged it. Still the smell of burned motor, burned plastic has me concerned. Did it get hot enough to cause problems behind the drywall? So far, I am keeping a "fire watch" to make sure nothing is smoldering.

Feb 12, 2011 | KitchenAid KHMS155LSS 1000 Watts Microwave...

1 Answer

We brought a Tesco microwave at CULLOMPTON Tesco, Devon last week. It cost £29.00 on its first major use - cooking potatoes for ten minutes - smoke seems to be coming from beneath the machine - it has...


This is almost certainly some of the protective oils and varnishes which were applied during manufacture flashing off.

All new products of this type do this to some degree but your description seems to indicate that it's much worse than normal with your machine.

Ordinarily, you can expect this to cease after a few uses and if the level of smoke and odour you've described is to be expected then the instruction booklet should say so. But as yours has visible smoke and a burning plastic smell I'd recommend that you exercise your rights under the Sale of Goods Act and return it to Tesco for a full refund or replacement. The smell of burnt lubricant is one thing, but a burning plastic smell means you can never trust the oven to be safe: none of the many microwave ovens which I've dealt with have ever smelled of burning plastic unless there was a fault.

You won't find any objection from Tesco as they do have good customer service; and when I lived in Cullompton briefly earlier this year the local branch was even better than usual at keeping customers happy.

I hope that you have found my reply to be of assistance and ask in return only that you return the favour by rating my answer.

Nov 05, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

3 Answers

Microwave smokes and smells like burning plastic


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips
http://www.fixya.com/support/r5508031-microwave_oven_basic_troubleshooting

heatman101

Jan 25, 2009 | Kenmore 64663 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Left fyring pan in oven during cleaning cycle


hi dr68,

The service techs at servepro fire/water damage cleanup and restoration might have a few free suggestions, they deal with smoke damage/residual odor issues every day.

Servpro Industries, Inc.
801 Industrial Boulevard
Gallatin, TN 37066

Phone: (615) 451-0200
Fax: (615) 451-0291


anaanymous

Oct 16, 2008 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning smell from Microwave


If you clean any appliances always plug out the unit power supply do spray any liquid in the unit that can enter inside the control, instead just wipe it with rug not spray. In this situation you have to call for a qualified technician. Maybe there are some wires that burned or rust in the control that cause the short circuit inside the unit..

Dec 27, 2007 | Whirlpool MH7135XE Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven Logo

139 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Sharp Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

Ed Mac

Level 3 Expert

731 Answers

Are you a Sharp Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...