Question about Dell Dimension 8400 PC Desktop
I have not used my desktop computer for over a year and I can't remember the password to log-on. Even with the hint, I can't get it right.
You can search for a password boot disk which will disable the administrator password.
There are dozens of these types of programs but one program I recommend is windows password reset 6.0
Download the iso file and burn it to a disk to create the boot disk, that simple.
Configure your pc or laptop to boot in the cd drive,
insert the CD and it would boot then just disable the password and restart.
Took about 5 minutes for the whole process.
Posted on Jun 08, 2009
This will probably be your best bet in getting t=into your system.
ERD is an excellent multi purpose product, but you should know it is not a necessary one if you have a healthy system and your sole problem is the inability to logon to Windows due to a forgotten password. Not necessary because you can easily change or wipe out your Administrator password for free during a Windows XP Repair. Here is how with a step-by-step description of the initial Repair process.
1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it is assumed here that your XP CD is bootable as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)
2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be "Press any key to boot from cd"
3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.
4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now
5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.
6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.
It should read something like "If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it"
Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.
7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.
8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically. you will see a progress bar stating "Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds"
9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of pressing any key to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.
10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.
11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.
12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you've made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).
13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.
Posted on May 19, 2009
Restart your computer.
Oh, this should work for you in Windows XP.
BEFORE the Windows splash screen comes on, and AFTER the DELL screen disappears, tap your finger on the F8 key at the top of the keyboard.
You will be given a list of startup options. Use the arrows on your keyboard to locate SAFE MODE.
The log in screen will have an ADMINISTRATOR name on it. Use this user to log into your computer.
Once in, go to the control panel and remove the password from the user you want to use, and restart the computer.
Posted on May 19, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 24, 2011 | Computers & Internet
on Dec 29, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Feb 02, 2010 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional
May 29, 2009 | Acer Aspire T180-EA350M (AST180EA350M) PC...
Apr 20, 2009 | E-Machines eMachines Desktop PC
Dec 29, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Nov 25, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Nov 21, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Aug 06, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Sep 27, 2011 | Dell Dimension 8400 PC Desktop
150 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!