- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Re: GE JES1384SF Mine quit working so I unplugged it and put a pot of boiling water in it and let the steam dissolve whatever was gumming things up. I used an electric hot plate to keep the water boiling. I let it boil for a couple of hours. I left the door 2/3 open. The microwave is working again. It is four years old and has been used every day, many times a day before it stopped working.
Your unit is dead, mains are good, tried in other receptacles, still no power. You have a bad fuse inside the unit. Unplug. Remove the cover. Generally this requires removing all the screws on the back perimeter and lifting the cover up. Sometimes they stick due to old grease, etc. Somewhere in the area of where the power cord comes in or near the transformer there should be a small fuse in a holder. It is not a glass fuse and should be replaced with the same kind (ceramic) and value. This is important for future protection. You can get the fuse at www.mcmelectronics.com . Get a box of five for future problems. If this was the only problem your microwave should work. If it blows the new fuse you could have a shorted power transformer, bad high voltage diode, or a bad magnatron in that order. There could also be a short in the board with the display but that would be unusual. Let me know if you need anymore helpl
Never run the microwave without a load (something to heat)!!! That kills the microwave generating parts.
Sounds like a 'thermal' protect switch is activating after running. Make sure that (if the unit is mounted in a cabinet) that there is sufficient space around the unit for proper air flow and that nothing is blocking the vents. Try setting it on a counter top and heat something. If it works properly and doesn't shut off, the venting space is the problem. You may have to have the cabinet that it sits in redesigned for more clearance.
Same thing happened to our unit. My wife had started cooking potatoes and we left house for an hour. Came back and unit was dead, nothing worked. Verified power @ plug. Unplugged, pulled control panel and checked fuse which is mounted @ top of circuit board (will now refer to as CB), back side of interface panel. It passed continuity test. Inspected wiring and was all intact, no sign of burn thru. Varistor visual also looked good, no discoloration or burns. Removed (5) fasteners that hold CB to interface and inspected back side. Noted minor "blackening" @ pin location #1 of the (5) pin plug immediately beneath fuse. Resoldered because connection looked poor. Plugged back in and tested, all features worked correctly!
The extreme heat has opened up one of the thermostats / thermal cutouts (TCOs) in the oven.
If it was the bottom TCO or magnetron TCO, you should be able to access them by just removing the control panel.
But if it's the one on top of the cavity, the oven will have to come out of the wall, then you need to pull of the outer cover..
so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have
two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.
You can download GE
owner's manuals and installation instructions here.
should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit
control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is
very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
You should locate and look this over first.
our Web site, we have a video
available showing how to remove a typical
over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
You can usually find
helpful exploded view diagrams and order
entering your full model number here.
happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your
thoughtful rating of our answer.
The cover is probably the magenetron. That is where the microwaves come from. If the bread was moist, it might have left condensate in the unit which is causing the sparking. Unplug the unit, leave the door open over night. If you can remove that cover, do so. Be sure to carefully replace it before using the unit. Never turn on a microwave with nothing in it.