I have had an issue with my Lifebook N6200
I replaced the power supply pack about 8 months ago after the original died.
3 weeks ago the battery stopped working on it and the system does not make it past the windows boot now before it shuts down. this is with the AC adapter pluged in and the battery removed.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you Timothy
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Well the first thing you should check is the amount of power output to the power supply. for example the computer needs 12V but the AC Adapter only gives 9V. If that's not it then the actual green light is not receiving that information from the motherboard. that's not an issue if the battery get's filled up and the laptop works normally . If you notice that the laptop tends to shut down quickly when it's not plugged in then the battery is worn out. These things happen since the a laptop battery becomes very inefficient after 2-3 years. One more thing - try to rotate the input end of the ac adapter cable. maybe it's not making good contact inside the laptop. Hope this helps.
Unfortunately, the bad caps may have been replaced with the same cheap parts that were originally used.
Modern power supplies have parts subjected to relatively high frequencies (kHz range- 50-150k) which electrolytic capacitors don't tolerate well and causes the chemicals to break down reducing the capacitance to shrink and their equivalent resistance to rise until they cannot handle the signals they must process.
When these are replaced, the new parts should be rated for switching power supply use, have at least 105C temperature range and low ESR.
Even then, there is no guarantee that the manufacturer is truthful or conscientious. Even the poorest of this kind of part may perform OK for some time before they fail.
Parts originating in China may even contain defective chemicals when new and they make the bulk of this kind of part today.
There are ways to prevent capacitors from failing but they must be made well to begin with and adding certain parts (less than a couple of dollars in cost) to the circuit can reduce the exposure to high frequencies that causes even good parts to fail early.
You might consider buying a new supply for your set and just rotate them when they fail to avoid being dead in the water, sending the failed one for repair.
Switching power supplies are much more efficient than the linear supplies used 20+ years ago and can be as reliable as those if designed well and built with true quality components.
Mostt batteries have an issue of SHELF LIFE and so if the battery that was given to you was on SHELF for a long time then it can develop BACK EMF and so will not charge to the limit designed. So check the date on the pack and if this is more than 6 months ago , it is better to claim for a refund or replacement. If your camera did not have any other issue this is the only possibility.
The first charge also must be done for 8-15 hours.
This could be a factory fault, but personally I would say you have a good case in contacting HP and getting your laptop replaced.
If you have had to replace two motherboards, more then likely power or something serious. Also according to the warranty you best bet is to contact HP and tell them that this issue has happened twice before, they have a database and could have other recorded issues similar to yours.
Sounds like overheating, if the machine just cuts off its either power fault or overheat and the machine will hit a certain temp about 90C for a period and cut out to prevent severe component damage . you can try cleaning again, the thing is if its been running at high degrees C it may need fresh arctic silver on the CPU which thankfully is a pretty robust one in that machine.
hope this helps, let me know if you need further help