When I try to copy a file to the Free Agent drive, I get the message that the drive cannot be modified. A client with a pc sent us the drive and we are mac based. Additionally, we are trying to add revised production art and send this drive to the printer.
I have contacted the client andd they have never had this probleem.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.
An expert who has answered 200 questions.
Re: Free Agent Drive
Click on the drive once so it is highlighted. then choose GET INFO or press APPLE key plus the I key ( APPLE + I ) hold those 2 keys down and you will get a small dialog box with the drives information. Notice to see if the drive is locked ( which with a user password ) you can deselect, or see if the drive is formatted MS-DOS. If the drive is formatted NTFS, you should be abled to copy from but not copy to. YOu may need to copy the entire drive to a OS extended or MS-DOS formatted drive.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
With the drive plugged in, going into your Applications ' Utilities ' Disk Utility
Select the drive and press Verify Disk, Repair Disk and Repair Permissions.
If you don't have anything on the drive right now, try formatting it with the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system from the Disk Utility.
If that doesn't work the drive may be damaged. If you have another PC / Mac, trying plugging it in and see if it works there. If the drive is under 1 year old it should still be under warrantee, in which you could return it / RMA and get a new one sent back from the manufacture.
Disk trouble from unplugging the usb while the unit is still "running" and not yet finalized. Running CHKDSK /? /F in the run box where ? = extrenal drives lettrer. Then restart the computer(done from windows PC with drive attached)
Shell trouble I have already advised a dozen or so people this week that if CHKDSK doesn't work, replace the shell with a new one and see if the hard drive works in the new shell.
Failed harddrive, of course this is always an option. If neither of the above suggestions works then it's possible the hdd has failed and you may need to send it to a pro if you have any files on it that need retreiving.
Hope this helps FixYa, if you need additional help just reply to this by adding a comment.
The new seagate drive you got needs to be unpartitioned and its file format system needs to be deleted and changed.
NB: You will lose all your data so make sure that you copy everything useful off it before you do these steps.
1. Get hold of a windows PC and right click on my computer
2. Choose manage ... choose disk management right click on the drive and delete the partition type
3. delete again until it comes unpartitioned space
4. Then go to your mac and you should be able to format it as a regular Mac drive.
5. If the Windows PC is inaccessible. Get hold of a copy of Linux UBUNTU distro. Boot your MAC from CD choose to boot os from CD (don't worry it will install nothring on your MAC it will just use the CD but make sure you choose the right option)
6. Keep your hard drive attached so it gets detected during bootup. Once the UBUNTU OS boots choose GParted and from there do the same thing i explained above.
Format your hardrive for Mac OS: Go to Disk Utilities under the go menu in your finder. Select the external drive and click on the erase tab. Clikc erase again and it formats the drive. You can now copy files onto the drive.
Ok, install Office onto your laptop and see how it goes. Don't be too panic striken Microsft in general allow one copy of the same program to be running on a desktop and a laptop at the same time on the same license.
It's a home/work thing, Laptop goes to work, desktop stays at home and you can't be using them both right =)