Question about GE Microwave Ovens
Have a GE Turntable Microwave oven JES1246BH002 which does not heat or cook. The light comes on and the fans work,its not loud or no unusual sounds. We do not have instruction manual for it and do not know if this problem has to do with programming the microwave(?). Please assist as to solving the cooking problem and where we may find instruction manual for it. We looked on web and cannot find a copy. Thank you.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Sounds like you just fried your magnetron. Normally when they go bad, they make a very loud noise like what you described. The smell concerns me because you may have ruined the waveguide as well. If the magnetron burns through the protective painted surface of the waveguide, the waveguide is ruined. In most microwave ovens this means replacing the entire unit because the waveguide is not replaceable. Putting a new magnetron in a damaged waveguide will result in the same arcing and eventual failure. In addition to the magnetron, the following components are part of the same high voltage network: HV Transformer HV Diode HV Capacitor Magnetron Thermal Cut-Out Any one of these components could have also been damaged. I DO NOT recommend taking any voltage measurements inside the HV network. Potentials of over 4000 volts can be reached and make it very dangerous for the do-it-yourselfer. Taking resistance readings with the unit unplugged is strongly encouraged. If you decide to pursue a repair, inspect the magnetron tip and inside of the waveguide first. If the magnetron is melted and/or there are burn marks inside the waveguide, a new microwave may be a in order. This actually may be a better option than an expensive repair. I hope you find this advice helpful.
Posted on Jul 31, 2007
That's sounds pretty strange!
Since I don't have any service data on Sanyos, I'd have to speculate.
I would guess that one scenario that could cause it would be if the turntable were turned off via the control panel, but there was a switch or switch mount problem.
I would refer you to their support people:
Posted on Dec 08, 2007
If you look at consumer affairs.com, there are many problems like this with GE microwaves. Not a good track record, experiencing problems with mine as well.
Posted on Apr 15, 2008
The problem you are having with your microwave is a common one. Not heating is a problem that can be caused by three things. I'll list the most common solution first, the magnetron that actually does the heating is what is making that noise and has gone bad. It is possible for you to also have a bad high voltage diode that has opened up, solution two, or solution three is the high voltage capacitor is not working properly as well. From my experience with microwaves I am positive that it is your magnetron that is bad. If you are not do it yourselfer you'll need to take it to a repair shop to replace. However, if you know how to use a screwdriver and can unplug a couple of wires with spade terminals on them, then you can take it off yourself, find another one and replace it the same way you took it off. The magnetron sits behind the control panel of your microwave but on top. It has cooling fins on it and has 2 terminals maybe three depending and make and model that plug into it. It has 4 screws that are easy to get to that actually holds it in place. If you do not have a good local source like an electronic parts supply place then you can find the right magnetron at www.mwoparts.com. Be sure you always unplug the microwave before touching or trying to take the he cover off and then when you take the magnetron off also.Good luck and God bless.
Posted on Feb 11, 2009
You are correct the fan motor is either stuck or needs replaced.
There is no way to do this without removing the entire microwave. In case your not familiar with how microwaves work, there is a capacitor that is very large inside and can hold a charge even after it is unplugged for up to 24 hours, please take action to prevent getting shocked.
Posted on Sep 11, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 10, 2011 | GE JE620 Microwave Oven
Jan 18, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
May 22, 2010 | GE JES1456 Microwave Oven
Feb 13, 2010 | GE JVM1653 Microwave Oven
Oct 12, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Mar 25, 2009 | GE Profile Spacemaker Over-the-Range...
Jul 28, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Apr 15, 2008 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
144 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!