Question about Brother HL 1440 Laser Printer
We have a Brother HL-1440 that leaves tiny black spots on the paper. It doesn't do it all the time only when we have something that is Really Important. Thanks for any suggestions.
Stray dots (on a vertical imaginary line on the page) may not require an expensive drum replacement. In my situation, I simply followed these steps:
(1) Open up the printer, remove the toner-cartridge/drum assembly, and remove the toner cartridge from the drum.
(2) For purposes of reference, place (and center) a sample page of the "offending" output in the bottom of the drum housing, lining up the dots so that the page is turned the way it would have fed through the printer, placing the page generally in front of the shiny green roller surface. Loo, for where any matching black dot or other thing might be sitting on that surface.
(3) Gently roll the green surface's roller with its outside end pegs (without touching the green surface) if and until such a matching dot (or dots) can be found. (Multiple dots might appear along other imaginary verticals on the page, which is to say, additional vertical striping is occurring because there are more instances of "items/dots/garbage" arrayed across the roller on the horizontal, to produce repeat images down the page as the page feeds through the printer.)
(4) Take a Q-tip and very, very, very gently "polish" away the dot(s) you found on the green roller. (I ended up just dabbing the dot I found--which had consistently left a trail of three dots down my pages, in different locations because of the distance the roller traveled relative to the page size--using the absolute least amount moisture to remove it.)
(5) Clean the drum's corona wire by moving the blue plastic slider back and forth, and leave the slider at the far left point.
(6) Reassemble the toner cartridge and the drum and place the assembly back in the printer.
Worked great for me. Done in around five minutes. No cost, except for the negligible cost of a Q-tip. No time waiting for a new drum to show up, etc.
Posted on Sep 01, 2011
It can only be the drum unit or the toner unit, both are normal consumables, sound's like the drum is the problem to me I'd change that to fix.
Posted on Oct 17, 2007
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 11, 2014 | Brother HL-1440 Laser Printer
Nov 08, 2011 | Brother HL 1440 Laser Printer
Mar 02, 2011 | Brother HL 1440 Laser Printer
Mar 31, 2010 | Brother HL 1440 Laser Printer
Oct 06, 2009 | Brother HL 1440 Laser Printer
Feb 27, 2009 | Brother HL 1440 Laser Printer
Oct 03, 2008 | Brother HL 1440 Laser Printer
Feb 02, 2016 | Brother HL 1440 Laser Printer
2,657 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!