Backing up your iTunes library to a CD or DVD To burn a CD
(CD-R or CD-RW), your computer must have a compatible CD burner. To burn
a DVD (DVD-R or DVD-RW), your computer must have a compatible DVD
burner. Check in iTunes Preferences to see if a drive is compatible. See
below for steps. To create your backup disc
- Choose File > Library > Back up to Disc.
- Select the option you want from the resulting dialog and click Back Up.
- The two options you can select from are:
of these two options you choose, note that you can also choose "Only
back up items added or changed since last backup" to perform an
- Back up entire iTunes library and playlists
- Back up only iTunes Store purchases
- Insert a blank disc (CD or DVD) into your computer's optical drive. iTunes will scan the disc and begin burning.
If the disc you insert does not have enough space to hold all of the
content you will be backing up, a dialog will appear asking whether you
wish to backup to multiple discs. You can click Data Discs to continue.
burns the number of items that fit on one disc and then asks you to
insert subsequent discs to continue burning the remaining files. Don't
eject a disc while a backup is in progress.
Spoken programs purchased from the Audible.com website are not backed up.
Discs you create using the iTunes backup feature can be used only to restore; they can't be played in a CD or DVD player.
Restoring from a backup disc
- Open iTunes.
- Insert your backup disc.
- iTunes will ask whether you want to restore from this disc. Click Restore.
Check drive compatibility
- Choose a playlist on the left side of the iTunes window.
- Click the Burn Disc button on the bottom right corner of iTunes.
- If the drive is listed, it's compatible.