Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

MICROWAVE WILL NOT HEAT FOOD AND TIMES OUT @ 30SEC'S

MICROWAVE OVEN ON HIGH POWER WHEN IT MADE A RUMBLING NOISE AND WAS ARCING FROM WAVE PAD AREA ONTO WIRE RACK. I SWITCHED IT OFF AND OPENED DOOR, RECENTRED RACK ON TURN TABLE, CLOSED DOOR AND COOKED ON HIGH POWER AGAIN, BUT THE OVEN SOUNDS LESS POWERFUL AND TIMES OUT AFTER 30 SECONDS WITH NO HEATING OCCURRING.

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

    Hot-Shot:

    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Expert
  • 180 Answers

Replace the magnetron and the wave guide.

Posted on May 23, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Microwave is arcing and making a popping noise as if something metal was in there while cooking.


I will assume that you do not have any metal items or bits of tinfoil lying around inside the oven.

If the sparks are happening on the inside of the microwave's cooking area while you are cooking, then make sure you clean the inner surfaces really well. Be sure to remove any cooked on food particles that may have splashed up during cooking.

Most likely you have some corrosion or dried food debris inside the cooking area, or perhaps even some food particles stuck to your WAVEGUIDE COVER PLATE. A dirty waveguide cover plate can certainly cause the arcing and sparking you describe.

If the thorough cleaning does not work, you may need to replace the waveguide cover. Here is a link to a short video that shows you exactly how to replace the wave guide cover yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0xsXjhefy4

Just use your mouse to click on the link, which is the underlined and highlighted text just above. This will open a new web browser page automatically for you and allow you to view the video at the website indicated.

If the sparks are coming from somewhere other that the cooking area, then your unit may need more significant electrical repairs or service.

Here is a link to another expert's excellent Microwave Troubleshooting Guide:

http://www.fixya.com/support/r5508031-microwave_oven_basic_troubleshooting

If you choose to rate Heatman 101's tip using the Thumbs Up scale provided, I thank you very much for your time and consideration.
I hope that was helpful to you, good luck and take care.

Joe.

Jun 21, 2011 | Samsung SMH9187ST Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Sparks and strange noise when microwave is turned on even when empty inside. i have a ge jvm1850smss over the oven microwave.


YOU SHOULD NOT RUN MICRO WITHOUT ANY THING IN IT / THIS WILL OVER LOAD THE MAG TUBE . AND SOME TIMES FRY IT .. The sparking and arcing is probably a bad wave guide . this is sometimes caused by food splater / it gets in the cracks and corners and then cooks till it truns to carbon which conduts the micro's and thus arching .. clean it good and touch up any burns in the metal and repl wave guide cover. mm hope this will help .. mm

Dec 20, 2009 | GE Spacemaker Over-the-Range Microwave

1 Answer

Danby microwave does not heat food and makes loud constant noise


IF the noise is a sound coming from the oven area, its the megatron tube. Typically, replacing the megatron tube is more expensive than replacing wiht a new unit and a new warranty.

Nov 06, 2009 | Danby DMW112 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Arcing and noise when turn it on


I cleaned the microwave really well. I used a screwdriver to pull the plastic cover out enough to clean behind the edges with a soft toothbrush. Seems to have corrected the problem.

Oct 15, 2009 | Whirlpool MT4155SP Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Wont heat food


It could be that the "grinding" noise was actually "arcing" taking place inside the cavity or uder the cover. The magnatron is possibly damaged or the h.v. diode. Should be repaired by qualified repairman

Sep 12, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My high power GE Advantium microwave is sparking


Your problem is a common one. When you see arcing inside your microwave, it's because of food or liquid left in the cavity or on the wave-guide cover:

  • If the wave guide has any burn spots, replace it and clean the unit well.

  • If the cavity has any burn spots, spot-sand it smooth and touch it up with microwave interior paint.
Note… If there are any burn holes in the cavity, don't use the unit-seek help from a qualified appliance repair technician.

May 28, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Boiling waer under micro wave lots of steam into micro wave, turn on micro wave ,pop noise like glass miro wave comes on louder hum than normal no heat


Q - The microwave display counts down and the inside light is on,  but nothing is heating and the fan is not running.
A - This most commonly is a bad door switch, other possible problems are a faulty relay or solder joint on the power module, but a bad door switch is most common.
 Q - My microwave is running and sounds like it is working but will not heat up anything.
A - Many thing can do this but, common things are....loose high voltage wire.....poor solder joint on board.....magnetron.....power relay.....
Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food?
A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section.

Mar 03, 2009 | Amana Radarange Microwave Oven

2 Answers

GE Microwave is arcing inside


Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck to the inside of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

The waveguide cover is usually about the size of a playing card and often held in place by a plastic rivet.

In some models it is the plastic ceiling.

It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced.

If you need more specific help, please reply back with your brand and full model number.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

William E. Miller, AS-EET
prototech@usa.net
http://www.microwavedisplay.com

Nov 13, 2008 | GE JES1384SF Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Kenmore 721.80524500 makes a buzzing, grinding noise


Your problem is due to the "magnetron" arcing to the wave guide within the microwave. Picture someone arc-welding stuff together inside the microwave casing, that's essentially what's happening. It is a fire hazard and you should stop using the microwave immediately. As far as I know, there isn't a recall on that particular model (though there was on another similar Kenmore/Whirlpool model) so if it's out of warranty, you're out of luck.

Sep 08, 2008 | Kenmore 63662 / 63664 / 63669 Microwave...

1 Answer

Microwave arced, wont heat now


I'm assuming that it doesn't microwave either. If it does...then the heater is bad. Sears parts sells them. Second guess is a blown fuse or thermosensor. Inside the pad housing, locate the internal fuse and replace it if blown. The thermosensor is a black plastic bit about the diameter of a dime and 3/8 inch thick and clamped to the side of the unit inside the control area. Test it for continuity and replace if open. If not either of these, then you have power supply issues or control panel problems. My bet: the heater blew out. Often, this is caused when you heat greasy foods.

Dec 16, 2007 | Kenmore 69642 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

175 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

75797 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...