Question about Electrical Supplies

1 Answer

I have a 200amp main with a 150amp sub panel and I'm not sure of the wire size I would need for an 80 foot run. With the multiple answers I got confused. I was told 2/3 w/ground, 2/0, 2awg or #2. Also, I am running aluminum. Can you please tell me which wire to use? p.s., 20 circuits are being used.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Expert
  • 323 Answers

All of the answers you got were all for the same product, it's just being said differently. 2/0 is the correct wire size. I think this question may be old, so you may have already completed your project. By the way, with copper, the voltage drop on an 80 ' run is 0.8 %. On aluminum it is 1.56%.

At any rate, a 150 amp sub-panel with 20 circuits running on a 200 main amp can easily be overloaded. You should probably have a 300 or 400 amp main with a subpanel that large.

Posted on Jun 16, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Crouse - Hines Murry Style MP or MD 200 Amp Main Breaker Difficult to Reset

A 200 amp circuit breaker has a large spring to assist in rapid opening and closing a load of this size to minimize damaging arcing every time is it operated under electrical load

The larger the circuit breaker is and the more poles (1, 2 or 3) that are being opened / closed; the more force it will require to operate - both by hand or when tripping. Compare the tension or force you need to apply to a similar sized circuit breaker at Home Depot, etc.

The troubling issue about this for me is the fact that the 200 amp service disconnect / main is tripping. This is an indication of an overloaded panel / circuit. I usually see individual circuits that trip in a panel - but often find the that main breaker has only 20% - 60% of its rating on it at any given time. If you're tripping a 200 amp service disconnect / main breaker repeatedly - something has got to give - and eventually the circuit breaker will fail. That may be where you are now with this breaker. You may be in need of a service upgrade (if it is the service disconnect) as clearly, you have out grown the 200 amp size one you currently have or need add a new sub-panel to ease the load that this 200 amp main is trying to supply now.

Either way, you should call a reputable electrical contractor to have your service / sub-panel evaluated very soon. Good luck!

Feb 21, 2013 | Bryant /murray Bj2200 Main Circuit Breaker...

1 Answer

Can you splice 2224 wire to sub panel

The short answer is: Yes, you can. But, read the rest of this first.

Usually, you would want to move other smaller ampacity breakers up / down / over / as needed to create the required space for the larger ampacity feeder breaker to reach the feeder wires that supply power to the sub-panel. This is preferable because these circuit have small amp loads (hence small wires) and it is easier to splice those wires with simple wirenuts instead of splicing the feeders.

I can't see your installation, and you didn't give a great deal of details - so this last part may not apply to you. If you must splice the feeders, make sure it is an electrical box - if not done in the panel itself, a junction box that is approved for the location type, size and number of conductors that enter and leave the box can be used.

Good luck!

Nov 17, 2012 | Electrical Supplies

1 Answer

Can i feed a 100amp box from a 200amp box and feed from main leads ?

As long as you have the capacity to run 100 amps from your 200 amp box and your wire size is adequate then yes.

Nov 13, 2011 | Square Electrical Supplies

1 Answer

Can a 100AMP Culter Hammer Main Breaker Be Upgraded to 150AMP Without Changing the box or wiring?

only if your main wires (ie. line/feeder wires) are larger than a #2 awg wire size. #2 awg size wire is code and the right size wire for 100 amps. So, if you have larger wire coming into your service (eg. #1 THHN or larger) - then you can. Otherwise, you'll have to UP the wire size for the appropriate amperage. I hope this gives you some idea! Good Luck!

Sep 07, 2011 | Cutler Hammer 100 Amp Main Breaker...

1 Answer

I want to install a 15kw pool heater. This requires an 80 amp GFI breaker. My panel is made by Siemens. They don't make an 80 amp GFI. How can I solve this problem ?


Usually a sub-panel is the answer. You'd have a breaker from the main panel to the sub, and wire your 80 amp into that. You'll need a local electrician, familiar with local code to advise and/or install.

Best regards, --W/D--

Jun 04, 2011 | Heating & Cooling

1 Answer

Motor growls & low torque. Need a wire diagram to check for proper wiring.

I'm not sure what happened on here, but your problem with a motor is listed under the heading for a 200amp main breaker. What kind of a motor are you talking about? Gas, electric? what brand what model?

Aug 19, 2010 | General Electric GE ELECTRICAL TQD22200X2...

3 Answers

200AMP Breaker trips same time every night

Something doesn't sound right here. You indicate 2 200Amp breakers. With a single service entering the house, this is not possible. The "sub-panel" to the pool house is more likely a 100Amp setup, yes? If not, you have a bad setup and it should be corrected. I would suspect that you are attempting to pull too much current to the pool and that is what is tripping the breaker. Also, these breakers should not be run over about 80% of their capacity for the long haul. If they are, they tend to age and get either real sensitive causing tripping when it shouldn't or you can run 500Amps through it and it won't trip.

My suggestion is to revisit the setup. If the pool house is fed from the main panel, make sure that the breaker for it is not 200Amp. Second, try disabling the pool house breaker to see if that is the source of the problem and look more closely there.

Keep us posted.


Jun 29, 2009 | Electrical Supplies

Not finding what you are looking for?
Electrical Supplies Logo

Related Topics:

984 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Electrical Supplies Experts

ken skalski

Level 2 Expert

152 Answers

Gene Haynes

Level 3 Expert

5245 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

15950 Answers

Are you an Electrical Supply Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides