Question about HP LaserJet 2840 Printer
I pulled this from the HP boards from Charlie Bravo
I tried it and it worked for me. (this is a network setup.)
MY FIX (Windows XP):
After trying numerous things, here is what I resolved:
1) Problem: when trying to scan using my 2820 Color Laserjet using "Solution Center", I got the dreaded, yet common error: "An error communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again"
My device: HP LJ2820 Color Laserjet
2) The printer worked fine when printing to it and also, scanned fine when using the Windows Wizard (Start/All Programs/Accessories/Scanner and Camera Wizard
3) Hewlett-Packard Support was less than worthless since they used my time and provided no useful information. Their ineptitude is legendary as we all know... To add insult to the injury, the rep wanted to charge me $25 for the "incident" which happens to be to not only identify teir bugs but also to report and fix them as an unwitting test site. Arrogant of them to say the least !
4) SOLUTION: Added an entry in the HOSTS and lmhosts file (this file is located in WINNT/SYSTEM2/DRIVERS/ETC ):
192.168.1.1 HP Color Laserjet
The 192... etc is the default gateway for my printer (look in toolbox and get the network report for yours, my printer is connected using the network, wired to a Linksys router)
Dont's bother with "reinstalling", "de-installing", etc. the problem is related to addressing and not corrupted drivers. It's simply a HP bug, nothing else.
5) Ran the "patch" col10862.exe from the hp site, listed under an unrelated problem to an unrelated printer. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=sj-32245-2&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
6) Now I can can use the the scanner I paid for...
7) Time to resolve the issue: 2 minutes. time to find the resolution to the issue: 4 hours.
Posted on Nov 12, 2009
If you printer have more that a year, probably tle scanner mirrors and lenses are dirty, disasembly , clean and try again.
Posted on Aug 22, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 09, 2011 | HP LaserJet 2840 Printer
Nov 07, 2010 | HP LaserJet 2840 Printer
Apr 07, 2010 | HP LaserJet 3015 All-In-One Printer
Dec 31, 2009 | HP PSC 1401 All-In-One Printer
Dec 08, 2009 | HP Photosmart C3150 Printer
May 20, 2009 | HP PSC 1315 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jul 20, 2008 | HP PSC 1210 All-In-One InkJet Printer
Jul 03, 2008 | HP PSC 1315 All-In-One InkJet Printer
1,014 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!