Question about Kenmore Washing Machines
It sounds like the air dome hose may have come loose. This is a small plastic hose that connects to the lower right hand side of the wash tub and runs all the way to the pressure switch in the operator console. This is what determines your water level. The washer will begin to fill and then a flood of water starts pouring out from under it. You will need to remove the exterior case of the washr for full access. Just follow these steps:
1. Unplug washing machine.
2. Remove console. This can be accomplished in one of two ways depending on which type of console you have.
a. If the console has removable end caps, the caps lift off by prying on the top from the back of the washer. The cap will pull off towards you as you are facing the unit from the front of the washer. There will be a screw under each end cap that you will need to remove.
b. If the console does not have removable end caps, you will need to slide a putty knife under the front corner of each side and push in while lifting up. There is a retaining clip under each side that has to be released.
3. Once the console has been released it will lift up and fold back over the back of the washer in its resting position. Use care not to stress the small plastic hinges that hold it on. They can break easily.
4. Under the console will be two large brass colored clips. Take a large flat blade screwdriver and place it in the groove of the clip on the washer top. With the screwdriver firmly in the groove, push away from you towards the back of the washer. This will release the clips.
5. Disconnect the lid switch connector plug. This is the white colored plug on the washer top under the console.
6. Remove the washer casing. Open the lid of the washer. Using one hand, grip under the front rim of the washer opening. Do not grab the wash tub, just the casing. Tilt the washer case from the back first towards you, slide forward slightly, and then lift up. The entire case comes off exposing the wash tub and components.
Look to the lower right-hand side of the wash tub and make sure the small plastic air hose is still attached. If the hose has come loose, snip a small portion off the end and re-insert it on the air dome. These hoses can stretch over time and become loose.
If the hose is still intact, locate the water pump directly in the front of the washer. You will recognize it by the two drain hoses attached to it. These pumps can develop cracks over time and begin to leak. If this is the case, the pumps are not serviceable and must be replaced. Also check the drain hoses for rips or cracks and make sure the hose clamps are snug.
Last of all, check under the center portion of the washer tub. If the tub seal is bad, you will see water tracks dripping on the top of the gearcase.
The volume of the water you describe sounds like an air dome hose, though. What looks like a major problem, can often be a very simple cure. Hopefully this won't require any parts.
To re-install the washer case, follow thse steps:
1. With the lid of the washer open, place grasp case under front rim and place it on the washer frame. While looking down through the washer lid opening, make sure the front lip of the case is placed UNDER the washer frame and rocked back onto the frame to ensure that the small cleats on the frame fit into the slotted grooves on the washer case base. If you do not get the case seated correctly it will rattle and vibrate while the washer is in operation.
2. Make the back of the washer fits into the washer casing on each side and reinsert the brass clips. Place the clip into the slot on the back of the washer first, and then forcefully push it into the opening on top of the washer. It will snap back into to place.
3. REINSTALL LID SWITCH CONNECTOR. It is easy to forget. If you do not reconnect it, the washer will not work correctly.
4. Reinstall console.
If you have questions, please let me know. I hope you find this information helpful.
Posted on May 13, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 19, 2012 | Washing Machines
May 01, 2011 | Kenmore 22422 Top Load Washer
Nov 30, 2009 | Kenmore 22422 Top Load Washer
Jul 17, 2009 | Kenmore 24032\24036 Top Load Washer
Apr 23, 2008 | Kenmore 24032\24036 Top Load Washer
Jan 12, 2008 | Kenmore 24032\24036 Top Load Washer
78 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: