Question about Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

I have a pair of ESS performance series model 5 loudspeaker cabinets. The sound from them is excellent. I bought them in 1977. The foam around both the 10inch woofer units and both passive radiators has completely disintegrated and, of course, the sound is awful. Can you supply me with some DIY kits to replace these 4 foam areas? If so, how much would you charge and what would be the postage to the UK?

Posted by on

  • richard638 May 13, 2009

    I have ordered the appropriate materials for a DIY refoaming plus 2 new passive radiators from the business you suggested. It now remains to be seen whether they will send me the correct stuff. If they do, the rest will be down to me! Thanks for the information



1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Expert
  • 987 Answers


FROM here you can find the kit...

Posted on May 12, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

3 Answers

Need replacement bass units for TDL Studio 1 speakers

I am sorry but we offer repair solution's but we have no parts resources for any product.

Mar 30, 2012 | Car Audio & Video

1 Answer

Hi i have bought an onkyo ARV 401 amplifier and i

You can choose any speakers to go with your amp as long as
1) they will allow the amp to perform at its best ( impedance and power handling)
Ideally you will buy speakers which will handle the full amps output plus more, then when you turn it up LOUD, you will not break the speakers

2) you still like the sound when they are demonstrated, installed at your home.

Sound is a very individual thing, if you like it then its fine, after all you are the one listening to it most.

Hope this helps
Thanks for using FixYa

Aug 07, 2010 | Onkyo TX-SR875 Receiver

1 Answer

Need smaller speakers for Technics systems - Is this possible?

Yes you can. Some Technics are tiny, but pricey. You could sell your old ones to offset.

This look kind of retro
technics bookshelf speakers Google Search

This is marked DOWN to $1,500!
Technics SB C700

I have a lot of Bowers and Wilkins audio gear. I know the MD and I have toured the factory. It is all quality gear and covered by an excellent warranty because you will never need to claim on it.

Jan 30, 2018 | Technics SC-HD515 CD Shelf System

5 Answers

I need new ear pads for my Aiwa HP-CN5 headphones.Is there a source for these?

I hunted around. No luck. Then I stopped in an found the perfect fit from of all places Radio Shack. The Earpads come with a smaller pair and you have to buy both but they are an excellent replacement. The Radio Shack replacements are #330-0288 - Replacement Headphone Earpads - $6.99 USD.

Oct 26, 2009 | Aiwa HP-CN5 Headphones

1 Answer

Kenwood 138 and Performance Teknique 752 speaker problem

Hello passionatete,

It sure sounds like the speakers are bad. When I looked these up, the specifications said they are 5 1/4 inch. You should listen to a few different speakers in the size that you require, to see what ones you like best. I'd first make sure of the exact size. Many 5 1/4" speakers have tabs that allow them to be mounted in 6 1/2" openings. The best way to determine which speakers fit is to use the "outfit my car" feature at They have speakers starting at around $35 per pair. Another good online site for research and for purchase is Sonicelectronix sells speakers starting as low as about $20 per pair.

Kenwood, JVC, Sony, Blaupunkt, and Orion are all excellent speakers for under $30. There's others like Boss, Scosche, Power Acoustik, and Visonik that cost even less. Again, I'd listen first, and then buy.

Hope this helps.

May 17, 2009 | Performance Teknique ICBM-752 Coaxial Car...

2 Answers

Speaker rattling

You'll be better off searching the Internet for a company that specializes in replacing the foam surrounds. Also, Parts Express stocks the surround kits, with instructions on how to replace them. Make sure you buy the correct diameter.. But it's probably easier to replace the entire speaker (not the full version with cabinet - just the speaker) - they're not that expensive.

Dec 27, 2008 | Cerwin Vega CVT-300S Speaker

2 Answers

Cerwin vega at60 and dc1515

It is called "dry-rot" and it happens with age to paper cone speakers. I am not aware of any products made to help prevent this problem. But you can always replace the woofers with new one's or find a place that "recones" speakers and that would solve your problem for a long time. If you have rubber surround on the cones, it would take much longer to have any type of dry-rot problems. The "foam" type of surround on the cones is the worst for this problem. Most new woofers have polypropelyne surround of the cones and it would probably outlast you, so replacement with a good quality woofer really is a good option.

Jul 08, 2008 | Cerwin Vega CLSC-15S Subwoofer

1 Answer

Help With Info On My Home Theater Speakers

Bi-amped speakers will have dual pairs of inputs. You should not attach two amplified lines to the same speaker posts.

Mar 30, 2008 | Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer


Wiz, That black piece of foam is just a sound dampening strap, no big deal. This is a hard one, I see a lot of these vibrate when there is a false floor. Here are some things to check: makes sure the front legs are locked with the nut. Check to see that all the springs are attached and the plate is centered, I will attach a photo. Depending on whether the machine is walking or just the tub banging, it could be the drive block for the basket. You will have to remove the cabinet or tip it back to check the springs. Catriverdf505ed.jpg

Jan 28, 2008 | Washing Machines

Not finding what you are looking for?
Audio Players & Recorders Logo

Related Topics:

76 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Audio Players & Recorders Experts


Level 3 Expert

5484 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

75571 Answers

Are you an Audio Player and Recorder Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides