- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The only thing inside a microwave oven that draws enough current to blow a fuse is the magnetron that generates the microwaves to provide the cooking power. Based on the age of the unit (approx 15 years) it is most likely best to just replace it as repairs at that level are not cost effective. Newer units cook better and faster using less power these days.
I am wondering which fuse is blowing?
There are at least two fuses fitted internally and in the UK at least another fitted in the plug of the supply lead.
It isn't wise for an unqualified person to replace the internal fuses of a microwave even if it is switched off as there is a capacitor inside that is capable of storing a dangerous amount of energy.
The reasons why a fuse blows is either because there is a poor connection close by that is generating a lot of heat or the the fuse rating is incorrect or of the wrong type (quick-blow instead of slow-blow) or the appliance is consuming more current than it should be.
Microwave ovens have a fairly simple working principle and there aren't many things to go wrong. When things do start to go wrong or components become tired it is usually translated into a loss of efficiency that can be measured by how long it takes to boil a measured quantity of water, for instance.
Periodically timing a measured quantity of water to boiling point is a good way to monitor the performance of a microwave and when efficiency falls significantly take it to the service shop before something destroys itself and causes more damage.
In my limited experience the magnetron could be failing but the internals of a microwave should remain a mystery to the unqualified.
I hope this helps a little.
You need to open the oven (unplugged) by removing the screws along the case. Inside, there is a 20 amp fast blow fuse that you can get at Radio Shack. It looks cylindrical and white. I would test that first. However, replacing the fuse may work, but then, other components may have shorted inside causing the fuse to blow. Try the fuse replacement/test it first. Good luck
Q - My microwave went dead when I opened the door ( same problem as closed the door ). A - This often is a stuck or faulty door switch and it has blown the interior microwavefuse. Q - My microwave is completely dead. A - House fuse has blown or interior fuse inside the microwave has blown ( usually a part inside the microwave makes this fuse blow ) Sometimes a bad fuse holder inside the microwave cannot hold the fuse tight enough and the fuse will blow as well. Q - My microwave blows the fuse inside itself as soon as I push the start button. A - Usually a shorted high voltage capacitor...see components section. Q - I burnt something in my microwave and now it is dead...help! A - The fuse inside the microwave may have blown, but more commonly the flame/oven thermostat has sensed the over cooked food and the flame/oven/cavity thermostat has opened up - Info on that Q - My microwave seems to shut off every once in a while, what might be wrong? A - Make sure you hear the fan is still operating in your microwave. Next is to make sure the air intake grill on your microwave is not plugged up with air borne dust and dirt. Q - The microwave makes a loud "hum or buzz" noise but will not heat up the food? A - 9 times out of 10 this is usually this is a bad magnetron, the other time is sometimes a bad high voltage diode. See components section.