Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Profile XL Spacemaker microwave oven

Strange noise and SMOLDERING burning odor when turned on.

Can it be the magnetron high voltage tube?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • GE Master
  • 8,795 Answers
Re: GE Profile XL Spacemaker microwave oven

I would first advise you to check the waveguide cover. This is probbaly a large one, covering the ceiling of the microwave.


If there is grease or food debris on it or above it, using the microwave can cause it to arc and smoke.


Otherwise, it may be a problem with the high voltage transformer or magnetron. It would have to be checked.


If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety, disassembly, and troubleshooting info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa:


You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your model number here:

Posted on Oct 12, 2007

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Ge profile spacemaker 1800 xl microwave no heat

The magnetron tube may have died. Not worth repairing unless under warranty.

Feb 03, 2013 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Have ge profile spacesaver xl sensor. will not heat strange buzzing sound and burning smell. clock, light, vent still work

This is most likely a defective magnetron, especially with the burning smell. There are two other parts that can be a problem, the high voltage capacitor and diode, all three work together to heat food. If the magnetron is the culprit, probably cheaper to replace the microwave oven.

Mar 02, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE profile spacesaver 2.0-does not heat and slight smell of electric burning when it is turned on. Turntable turns, fans work keypads work- just no heating and the electric odor. Filters and inside are...

MOST LIKELY YOU HAVE WHAT IS CALLED A MAGNETRON THAT HAS FAILED... IT IS THE PART THAT DOES ALL THE HEATING ...YOU DO ALSO HAVE A HIGH VOLTAGE TRANSFORMER THAT SEND POWER TO THE MAGNETRON BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE A MAGNETRON.... to be honest with you unless you are servicer it normally cost more to repair and for a few dollars more you can purchase a new one..... good luck to you.....

Jan 03, 2011 | GE Profile Spacemaker Over-the-Range...

1 Answer

Spacemaker (JVM1871SK) 1800 Microwave doesn't microwave

Remove the case and see if you can localize the smell. Likely suspects are a shorted high voltage diode (replace) or a shorted stirrer bearing (replace stirrer)--a fan-like device located within the sheet metal waveguide near where the microwaves enter the cooking cavity. Make sure to have a cup of cold water in the cooking cavity when looking for problems. The problem could also be the high voltage transformer or the high voltage capacitor, but these are more rare problems. There are no radiation problems with the case off, but there are high voltages associated with the magnetron and it's power supply.

Oct 08, 2009 | GE Profile Spacemaker 1.8 Cu. Ft....

1 Answer

Ge spacemaker xl 1800 - no heat

HI, the loud popping noise was the Magnetron tube. this is the main heating device. the noise filter is also damaged and, should be replaced as well.

In conclusion, replacing the Magnetron tube and noise filter will fix this unit.

Jun 16, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker XL1800(JVM1850CF001) - Loud Humming noise

You either have a bad magnetron tube (5 or 10 year parts warranty item through GE Factory Service 1-800-432-2737 or or a shorted high voltage rectifier. I think the light being out is a secondary problem.

Dec 18, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning odor, no heat

A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.

Jan 26, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Microwave XL 1800

remove top cover of oven , check fuse and control unit, high voltage section and diodes and capacitor and magnetron,

Oct 28, 2007 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE PRofile Spacemaker XL Microwave Oven Model# JVM1460 950 watts

Sounds like the problem is in the high voltage. Most common would be magnatron, capacitor and diode. For safety reasons this should be checked by a professional. Look in your owners manual because some high voltage parts have a longer warranty than 1 yr.

Oct 09, 2007 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

158 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8795 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides