Question about Hunter 22890 52'' Low Profile Plus Antique Brass Ceiling Fan
Here is the scoop. 3 wires in the electrical box Black, White, Copper Ground. Fan has four wires Green, Black, Black w/White tracer, White. I wired the green to the copper ground wire. White to White and Black and Black w/White tracer to Black. There is a single wall switch.
When I turn the power on from the breaker the fan and light turns on even if the wall switch is on off. As soon as I turn the wall switch to on I pop the breaker. Any ideas???
To add to red54's comments:
This is what I believe you have:
- one source in the ceiling box (black & white)
- one donwline circuit in ceiling box going to another wall/ceiling box (black&white)
- on switch wire in ceiling box coming from your wall switch (black & white) -- this is the white wire which will be hot when the switch is truned on
Here's how it should be connected:
- all 3 blacks in ceiling box connected together -- no other wires in this bundle
- white wire (which is hot when switched) coming from switch connects to the black/blackwhite fan wires
- connect all reamining white wires together in bundle
- connect all ground wires together
It's that simple. Trick is figuring out, of the three cables in the ceiling box, which is source, which is downline, which is switch.
Maybe red54's procedure can help you figure that out.
Posted on May 11, 2009
YOU MUST HAVE ANOTHER white wire or somthing missing..???? are there pull chains on the fan?? if the black & white wires in box are in the same cable....your wiring is correct !!!!!! problem could be a grounded terminal or load wire in wall switch box.......or 3-way wall switch wired wrong....
Posted on May 09, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 26, 2017 | Dryers
Dec 22, 2016 | Dryers
Nov 24, 2012 | Dryers
Mar 20, 2012 | Hunter Dryers
Nov 26, 2011 | Hunter 52" Ceiling Fan With Light And...
May 21, 2010 | Hunter 27148 Remote Control
Jun 08, 2008 | Optics
Jan 05, 2008 | Casablanca Fan 3245T Ceiling
Dec 29, 2007 | Hampton Bay 52 In. Black Huntington III...
944 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: